Homelite 550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmalvern

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Another new guy here. I have a small firewood busines...

And I am looking at buying a homelite 550 to go along with my smaller saws. The price is right, but I'm curious about a few things. It has chisel chain on it, and I don't really know what that is- any easy explanations for me? Also, it has an oregon bar on it that's nearly new. 24". Is that too much bar for the saw, or is it big enough to drive it. I really need a 24 or 28" bar at this point for some of the logs I've been getting, but I can't afford a big stihl or husky so I thought this might be a good alternative.

Thanks in advance...

It will carry the bar, and will be a good firewood saw, just a bit heavy. Not as advanced as todays modern saws with more metal on it than plastic. Also parts might be hard to come by as the model is no longer in production. I have never used the 550, but have used its big brother 650 and 750. All very powerful saws built for heavy duty work. I would think they are worth more to a collector than a full time user at this point. Of course if the price is right get it, but be aware of the parts problems. Also be careful about the possible lack of chain brake. Chains and bars are plentiful, but sprockets, springs and the like may take some looking. Here is a link to your saw. Good luck.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...b6eac0241e17561088256c2600148f7d?OpenDocument

It will carry the bar, and will be a good firewood saw, just a bit heavy. Not as advanced as todays modern saws with more metal on it than plastic. Also parts might be hard to come by as the model is no longer in production. I have never used the 550, but have used its big brother 650 and 750. All very powerful saws built for heavy duty work. I would think they are worth more to a collector than a full time user at this point. Of course if the price is right get it, but be aware of the parts problems. Also be careful about the possible lack of chain brake. Chains and bars are plentiful, but sprockets, springs and the like may take some looking. Here is a link to your saw. Good luck.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...b6eac0241e17561088256c2600148f7d?OpenDocument

550 parts are hard to find but if i had part #s i may just have them parts here

calvin

Chisel Chain

Thanks for all the good info guys. The seller says this saw has Oregon Chisel Chain on it. I'm not sure what this means. What is the difference between chisel chain and the sort of chain that comes on a saw when its new? Will I be able to sharpen the chisel chain myself? I have round hand files, and a little dremel with chain sharpening stones.

Hi Jeff!

C'Mon over and Ill let you run one of my 550's. I can also show you the different chains and how each should be used. Im in Newtown.

As far as that saw running Chisel chain, thats probably what it came with and most likely what youll want to use for cutting clean wood. You would want Chipper chain for cutting something dirty as it will stay sharp longer.

How much is the guy asking?

You may need to replace the carb boot if its dried out. Any chance he would let it be checked out by a decent Homelite Mechanic? :)

It's an ebay deal....

so I don't know about having it looked at. He says the carb boot was replaced along with the lower handle plate, whatever that means. I'd love to come over and see your saws... I'm in Malvern not too far. My email is below...

[email protected]

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

PS- don't suppose you have a big saw for sale?

Hey RBW, how do the 550's run anyway? I've considered gettin one and wondered how they cut. Good lookin saw on paper. Is it a reed valve motor?

Saw

How much for the new 550??? How old?? what kind of condition is it in?? I'm sure an 80+cc saw will carry any 24" bar you put on it. Specially those old Homey's dude, they had a ton of torque. A pic of it on here would be nice too...

:cheers: eh?

so I don't know about having it looked at. He says the carb boot was replaced along with the lower handle plate, whatever that means. I'd love to come over and see your saws... I'm in Malvern not too far. My email is below...

[email protected]

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

PS- don't suppose you have a big saw for sale?

Jeff, Ill send you an email tonight, the wife is huffing and puffing about me not cleaning up leaves in the rain.

Im a collector, so what comes through the door usually stays put.

If you could pick up that saw for under $200 you would probably do OK. Id say go higher, but its got a lot of paint wear.

Hey RBW, how do the 550's run anyway? I've considered gettin one and wondered how they cut. Good lookin saw on paper. Is it a reed valve motor?

They are a piston port motor, and they run like a scalded ape. Surprisingly enough my 450 keeps up with my 550, but the 550 is prolly set richer for safety, the 450 has a fixed main jet so I just run it.

If you decide you want to go with a new 550 let me know.

Bill

Bill, I drool over that saw every time I see it.:cheers:

If you decide you want to go with a new 550 let me know.

Bill

I have seen that saw on ebay before and it is real nice. The only problem with a new 550 is the NEW 550 price. I tend to pick up saws at the PROJECT stage and get them into the wood again. Time and parts I got. Lotsa extra cash I don't. Someone will really enjoy that thing when it does sell though.

I bought it...

Well I look forward to it getting here. I can't wait to put it to work. Thanks for all the advice, and please keep it coming.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=270193448103&Category=79665&_trksid=p3907.m29

I bought a smaller one too, and I would love to have your thoughts on this one as well. I think these will put me in good shape for my little firewood business.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290187362108&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

I used to have a Stihl 034av and an 009 but both were stolen. So the saw collection now is the two above, a 40cc 18" craftsman bought new a couple days ago out of desperation, and a 14" top handle poulan that needs work.

Thanks again for all the help, and keep the advice coming. It means a lot to a young new guy to get advice from you pros.

Jeff

Eye bolts and chain, will help folks from stealing your saws when you run into the grocery store or wherever. I had some vanish out of the back of my pick-up several years ago also. That really cuts into the pocket book quick. Don't let them get your 550. And they will be eyeballing it. Bob

I have seen that saw on ebay before and it is real nice. The only problem with a new 550 is the NEW 550 price. I tend to pick up saws at the PROJECT stage and get them into the wood again. Time and parts I got. Lotsa extra cash I don't. Someone will really enjoy that thing when it does sell though.

I thought it was priced very well. I cannnot afford to lose money on all saws. I basically gave away a new Homelite 150 last Christmas but it did go to a great home. If the 550 is not worth much then the new Super Wiz 66 will have to stay also.

Bill

I thought it was priced very well. I cannnot afford to lose money on all saws. I basically gave away a new Homelite 150 last Christmas but it did go to a great home. If the 550 is not worth much then the new Super Wiz 66 will have to stay also.

Bill

Awww Bill, I wasn't saying that you had it priced too high. In fact I bet it is a real bargain when compared to what a modern saw of similar size would cost. All I was saying is that I like to pick up an inexpensive but serviceable project saw, then enjoy fixing it up while saving a few bucks at the same time. I probably would ask comparable prices for my finished stuff too.

Got any project level 2100 homies for sale?

Last edited:
RBW,

It is a nice saw.

Bill

Damn nice saw Bill!

I just cant pony up, plain and simple. Now if it were a new 750 or even the mythical 850, Id give arms legs for it.

But a new 550 I would use, and that would be a shame.....

Got any project level 2100 homies for sale?

Now that will set you back a bit!

Jeff:

I messed up on the email, its going out right after this post.:cheers:

Two things:

You did good on the 550!

And your going to love the SEZ!

Welcome to the world of collectable saws! :clap:

................. Got any project level 2100 homies for sale?

Well I might have one. I would have to take a look around. Somewhere around AS is a pic of a few of my 2100 and 3100 saws.

On a side note I hope those of you in my area fair better than it looks like we will here tonight. We are facing 1" ice and power outages that could go last over a week. The last time we got ice it was 1 week for the neighbors but we lucked out on my string. I know there are others in much worse shape with 3 days of ice.

Bill

Back