• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Homelite 8800 same as 540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
Here is another saw off the shelf. This is a Homelite 8800 which is the very last of the big Homelite saws. It is the newer version of the 540. I believe they were actually made by Solo. There are not many of the 8800's left around. I do not remember the history on it. It has sat for at least 5 years. I pulled it down off the shelf and gave it a quick once over. I popped the muffler of so you can see the piston. I will let the pictures tell the story there. I put some fuel in the tank squirted a bit of fuel in carb and she popped right off. I shot a quick video which I will try to upload. It is on youtube As you can see she idles decent and is running a bit rich. Remember this saw has sat a good long spell. As you can see the air filter cover is missing. I am not sure where it went. The fuel cap is off a 410. I am sure it is missing a screw or two but for the most part seems to be a fairly complete decent ole saw. I will post quite a few pics. The last set of pics show the damage to the rear handle. I rarely sell many of my Homelites but heck it is time some get re-homed. I truly do not know where to price the saw at. I do not know of any comparables out there. You tell me what your thinking and we can go from there. I hate doing it that way but it is a toughy to price.

Pics of the saw

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
Piston Pics

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
The 540 was first, then the 8800.
That is what I believe and also that they and the 410 were made by Solo. What does make me wonder is that plastic tank assembly I had. I thought it was for a 540 but it was plastic and the one on the 8800 is magnesium.

540 tanks were plastic
Well that makes me feel better hoping I did not take the fine man who bought it. I had the NOS tank for years and finally sold it. Then when I pulled this 8800 out and saw it had a magnesium tank it made me really question my selling of the plastic one.

8800 was built first. The 540 was the updated version. These were both made by Homelite not solo.
Well as I said in a earlier post I do not think that is correct. I can pull IPL's to check and UT number lists but I am pretty sure I am right in what I said. Mike gets a FEW things wrong a FEW times but his accuracy is pretty dayum good. Better than any other site. If you have insight to share then PLEASE do as that is what AS was built on many years ago.

Homelite 540 introduced 1988
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...21c00cc39e9acec288256c2600147da5?OpenDocument
Homelite 8800 introduced 1998
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...268e37b6a21be40c8825853f0076f57e?OpenDocument

LOVE my 8800! made lots of firewood with it! also have the 410 , several sxlao's, xl2 and did have some c models at one time.
I have a 410 and 540 in the past. I have one 410 parts only saw now This was the first 8800 I had (have) I currently have or have had most every model Homelite made. Now I should say a representative model in each class. An example is the 900 series that started with the 9-23 and 9-26 finishing with the 995D and 995G. I still have most every model in grouping. As for the more modern XL900 series I have some but not all. At one point I had at least 5 very cherry condition XL 925's. I am not sure any are left now

Well I ran across this saw again the other day and figured I would re-new the thread

Back