Homelite 9-26 Gear Drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanesaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I never said he was pretty. I'm in the process of repairing the muffler, and making an improved and larger mill for it. I'd like to try to modify it to accept .404, which would mean new bar and modified sprocket etc. Has anyone attempted this? ............or am I crazy.

Homelite did in fact make .404 spurs,but they are rare.Someone had some,several months ago,I think.Was that you Dean?A bunch of us kicked around the idea for about a year or so ,for an 090G.I have made spur sprockets on a Bridgeport mill but it takes about 4 hours to do.I think it would be possible to adapt a .404 harvester sprocket but a bushing would have to be fabricated to adapt it to the output shaft of the saw.That big ole monster Homey would have the grunt,but most likely be rather slow at milling.

Al thanx for the input, you're right he has plenty of grunt but actually isnt to slow.
Then again I've never milled with a direct drive this big. I 'll be milling mostly burls and wide slabs so I definately need the power. when you say "harvester", I would assume you are refering to a large timber harvester. If someone could post a picture of a .404 sprocket (one which can still be purchased) off of a 100cc or larger saw it would be helpful. Thanx

Don't know the part numbers for your 9-26. But several on this forum have run across .404 sprockets for the 1130g which is 100 cc. The 1130g sprocket 1/2" pitch sprocket is #55593-3. The .404 pitch sprocket for the 1130g is#70353. Here is a good thread with the 1130g parts list.
http://www.arboristsite.com/search.php?searchid=154583

Well I just came in from investigating, interestingly enough the sprocket from my 041 slides perfectly on the shaft of that homelite (same diameter as the original sprocket).
All I would have to do is get it keyed the same. Should I even be thinking about running 3/8 pitch on this saw. I know I would have to modify a bar, but other than that.................. you tell me.

I dont know, maybe you're onto something good here. I cant really say for sure. if you do use 3/8 chain use ONLY .063 GA chain on it, nothing smaller will do, unless you want to risk it breaking, those geardrives have MASSIVE amounts of torque,so breaking a chain is easy for one to do.

All well and good,but here's the catch 22,so to speak.The big old 1/2 " chipper has a wide curf,but it also carries a huge chip.Sometimes resembling a frenchfry :) A .404 would also roll a pretty good sized chip,but a 3/8" by comparison ,would not.To get the same cutting speed the chain would have to pick up a tad in feet per minute,if you think about it.An 8 tooth 3/8" has about the same speed as a .404 by 7.Now it gets down to physics,and conjecture,hmm.That big old gear drive is not going to run out of power,so it's just what the gent wants to do.The 1/2" chain is rare,but not impossible to find.That big old chain is as long in the tooth as I am and could be filed for many a moon before it's used up.Now then,that's another option.

shanesaw
The saw came with either 9/16" or 1/2" sprockets. I have never seen a .404 in the 'star' style sprocket.

this is a 7 and 6 drive for a homie also a adapter so you can run common rims on that saw all brand new

The shaft has the single keyway so I'm missing what the adapter is supposed to fit???
BTW... the 9/16" was a 7 tooth & the 1/2" was a 8 tooth. Not sure if a .404 would be a 8 or 9 tooth.

I was told by our local shop owner that they will fit a homie gear drive also he used to sell them years ago

Bill W is correct as Homelite only listed 1/2" and 9/16" The 1/2" is part number 73252-1. The 9/16 is part number73860-1. I will try to attached the IPL. I am not sure what else may have have been produced later. The one advantage is it should be a reasonably simple grear to produce.

Bill

Maybe they fit another model homie gear drive but if they can be used they are for sale 10.00 each plus 2.00 shipping

Hey guy's thanx for all ur input, I believe I have figured out how to run 3\8 pitch, as long as I find a talented welder. In the meantime thers plenty of tooth left on that 1\2 chain I'm using now, so there is no rush. I'm in the process of making a system which utilizes a boat winch to pull the saw through the cut. My father has a big ole pine tree that blew down on the edge of his swamp, that he wants me to mill. This will be a good test run for the saw and the winching system. I will post pics soon

Be careful not to force it throu the log's, the Three weel and a line type is good enugh and much easyer/cheeper.

right, light pressure is all I want. "three wheel and line type" ? whats this mange, do you have any pics or diagrams of this method

Latest posts

Back