Homelite 925 project problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My father used to be a Homelite dealer and over the years gathered several saws that were NFG or box cases. I found a 925 that looked really good but the piston/cylinder was junk. I then located one that was broken like some had dropped it or ran over it or something. That piston and cylinder was in pretty good shape so...... Anyway, got it running in my shop and took it out to try it on a sycamore log I had that was about 24-30". I was really impressed at the power this saw has, lots of torque. I started on the second cut and it quit. Would half way hit w/the choke but not run. Checked fuel and it was low so I filled it and started it right up. Again ran for just a short while then quit again. I am at a loss, don't know where to begin. I changed both fuel lines when I was working on the cylinder/piston. It has what looks like a good fuel filter that is easy to blow thru. The last time it quit, I pulled the plug and checked for spark and all was well so, I am thinking it has to be fuel. I am just no too familiar with the 925. Anyone with an idea(s) as to what I might do and look for? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like a fuel delivery problem. I would check to see that the fuel cap is properly venting, if not it will create a vacuum and not draw fuel. Try taking the cap loose again and see if there is pressure build up when you turn it and if it will then start. You could try running the saw with the cap loose to see if it dies, but it would be easier to swap the cap with the junk saw or replace the duckbill valve.

Back