Homelite 925

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountainman

Mountainman

ArboristSite Operative
Based on a bit of quick research, it looks like the Homelite 850, 870 and 925 are all about the same saw, just made at different times, and all about 5 HP. I see a BUNCH of 925s on Ebay, and a lot of them look like they have barely been used. I suspect there may be a reason for this, but I'm still curious. Are these saws typically worth having, or should one remain faithful to the mighty 066?

Years ago, my dad used to run a lot of 850s and 870s, until the debut of the state-of-the-art Stihl 050/051. He was selling used 090Gs in good shape for $25 each, because nobody would run one. If I had only known the prices they bring today....

OnlyHomelites

OnlyHomelites

ArboristSite Member
870 Is a Good Saw

I've found the same thing...it seems like the 800-925 are all about the same. I bought an 870 from my neighbor for $50 that had no spark, but he threw in a good parts saw that had an electronic ignition, so I had it made! This thing looks like hell because of missing paint, but it has about 140 PSI of compression and runs like a top. I've got a 27" bar on it now and it handles it just fine. I personally think they are worth having and wouldn't trade mine for an 066 (but then if you look at my username, I'm kinda biased)!

weimedog

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Actually the 925 is the best of that breed. And they are the "sleepers" of the antique crowd. They perform better than you would expect of a saw of that age. My only complaint is they have high enough compression to make starting them in really cold weather a little more work at times than the new saws...And they will pull a 28-32 inch bar. I run a 28 on mine in the hard wood. Thing cuts like crazy:clap: Great saw.

Ax-man

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Actually the 925 is the best of that breed. And they are the "sleepers" of the antique crowd. They perform better than you would expect of a saw of that age. My only complaint is they have high enough compression to make starting them in really cold weather a little more work at times than the new saws...And they will pull a 28-32 inch bar. I run a 28 on mine in the hard wood. Thing cuts like crazy:clap: Great saw.

:clap: :clap: Good post and a very true statement. I have one also that made from a couple of different saws, looks and runs excellent for a used saw that was made from donors. The only thing I have against the saw is it has no anti-vibs and your can tell it in your hands after you run it awhile.

They are a high compression saw. One of the few that I have run into that go over the 150 mark on the compression gauge.

RaisedByWolves

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yep, the 925 is the one you want!

Many of the predisesors looked similar, but the 925, 944, 955 (944 and 955 have anti vibe) were the pinnicle of that design. The 925 has a 1/8' larger piston and some other features that ste it apart form the other 8xx-9xx saws which is what gives it its higher compression and grunt.

One of mine will send the Comp guage over 200psi cold and still gets 185 hot.:chainsaw:

IMO this is one of the best built saws ever.

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Primary feature of the 925 compared to the others was a thin ringed piston. I'm sure the 944/955 didn't have it, and neither did any of the 700/800 series. I don't have an IPL for other 92x series, so I can't speak 100% about these. Also, for whatever reason, no decompression valve was used 925 (maybe something to do with the thin rings ????). I have a few and they are nice saws.

Dan

habanero

habanero

ArboristSite Guru
I don't own a 925, but own a 924 and a 955 and can say both are great saws. The 955 is a bit more civilized to run due to the anti-vibe, but I also think that makes it a little heavier as well. Not enough difference in either the vibration or the weight between the two to matter, though. When I start thinking they are getting heavy, I go run my 995 for a few minutes. Then the 55 feels like nothing (until I pick up my SEZ and nearly throw it over my shoulder).