Homelite Bow blade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blubyu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I posted last month that I burned my Super XL up.... Well since then, I just brought a parts saw off of ebay that I'll use to repair it. Yesteday when I told my uncle what happened. He went into the garage and brought out a Homelite super 2 and another Super XL (blue) he said they were working perfectly! (go figure..after I buy the parts saw) In any case, he gave me two bow bars for the Super XL too..Since the snow was coming down pretty good yesterday, I had to get back on the road for my two hour ride back to MD. and I didn't have a lot of time to talk...plus I was anxious to get my new saws home!!!! :chainsaw:

I say all of that to saw this...What in the hell are the benifits of a bow bar? How do I know if they are good or bad? Can you flip them over? I see the same holes on both side? I called my uncle this morning to get some info but he's out on the snow plower now...

Last edited:
If I remember right they did not get pinched as easily as a regular bar, but are considered more dangerous.

Benefits...less likely to pinch in a kerf...save your back from a lot of leaning down. They are man killers though if run without the spur and guards. Spur has to be locked into the wood and held there throughout the cut. chain gurads are there to keep you from walking into the chain if you slip, you should use them. I juist bought one for my Stihl MS390, just received it yesterday. I will post some pics once I get a chain and some guars for it. I'll let everyone know how it works, hopefully not froma hospital bed! Have fun and be safe,
J.D.

blubyu,

Let me know if you want to dump the bows. I use them constantly. Can't really imagine not running a bow on at least two of my saws at all times. Currently, I run a bow on a Homelite Super Wiz 66 and on a Poulan 3700, but I also run XL-12s but don't have any bows for them anymore. If you are interested in letting them go, let me know. Yes, they can be reversed. You just put the bumper spikes in the other set of holes. NEVER, NEVER run a bow without the bumper spikes and the upper and lower guards unattached. If you understand how to use them, they are infinitely better than bars for bucking-up firewood or pulpwood and are not more dangerous. YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING, but that is true with any chainsaw running any kind of bar.

Michael

Back