Homelite C-52 ignition fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumleweed66

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have this C-52 with ignition issues.
I thought these coil wires just screwed out of the coil but.... Is there a modern day fix for this? Thankshomelite c 52   1.jpg

I had kinda the same problem on a C-91, the coil turned to mush and lost spark when hot. So I found another coil off an XL12 (maybe?) and it fit on the stator but I had a couple problems.
1. since that coil mounts outside the flywheel the spark plug wire is going in the wrong direction. Turns out not to be a problem as there is room to route the wire around the crankshaft and under the flywheel. Just had to lengthen the plug wire.
2. The primary wire connector came out of the coil right where the flywheel taper goes down over the crankshaft. So I had to cut the connector off the coil and solder the primary + wire as close as possible to the back of the coil. That gave enough clearance for the flywheel to go down without hitting this connection. The ground wire was ok as is.
I put one of the aftermarket ignition modules on to eliminate the points and condenser and she's running great. So if u can find a coil that will fit on the stator and under the flywheel it will probably work. I'm searching for one now and think I will try a Tecumseh 30546 as it looks about the right size. If it's a loose fit on the stator u can just use epoxy to hold it in place. I called Little Red Barn in VA. knowing they stock a lot of vintage Homelite Parts. They said they do not have any OEM coils and are not aware of any aftermarket replacement coils for these saws. They said ur best bet would be to try to find a good used one on Ebay. So I'm searching for a currently available coil out of something else that I might be able to make work. I'll keep ya posted. Lee

Back