562xp dies after hard cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tothemax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gents. I have a 562xp that will die and not restart if you run it hard. You have to let it sit for hours to reatart, cracking the fuel cap will not fix it. If you cut normal you will have no issues.

Is there any issues with the ignition coils on these?

Remove the fuel filter and see if you can easily blow through it, I have seen a few spark plugs in the last couple years that the resistor creates a open circuit when they get good and hot killing spark. I get the equipment good and hot until it shuts off then pull the plug and test its resistance...wearing welding gloves cuz that joker is hurt you hot! The carb screen may also be full of sawdust causing a vapor lock.

Remove the fuel filter and see if you can easily blow through it, I have seen a few spark plugs in the last couple years that the resistor creates a open circuit when they get good and hot killing spark. I get the equipment good and hot until it shuts off then pull the plug and test its resistance...wearing welding gloves cuz that joker is hurt you hot! The carb screen may also be full of sawdust causing a vapor lock.

Okay I will check those.

I did put a new ngk plug in it today along with a new fuel filter. I have not tested it since then.

This is just a guess but maybe you have a fuel restriction problem like a fuel line kink or restricted vent. Then while you are in a cut the Autotune keeps calling for more fuel, tuning richer. Then it is too rich next time you try to start but once you get it started it will retune itself.
I have experienced that sometimes with Stihl 261Cs if you run the tanks dry.

What temperature was it outside when you were cutting?
When did you buy the gas?
This sounds like the classic “first hot day of the year with winter gas still in the saw”

The saw gets hot, the winter gas vaporizes in your carb, and you get a vapour lock situation. After it cools down, it will restart and run fine again until you shut it off again.

Solutions are.
Only cut on cooler days until your winter gas is gone.
Keep the saw cool and put it in a shady spot every time you shut it down
Buy summer gas

If you press your primer bulb and it fills with gas that then bubbles and disappears, then for sure that’s the case.

What temperature was it outside when you were cutting?
When did you buy the gas?
This sounds like the classic “first hot day of the year with winter gas still in the saw”

The saw gets hot, the winter gas vaporizes in your carb, and you get a vapour lock situation. After it cools down, it will restart and run fine again until you shut it off again.

Solutions are.
Only cut on cooler days until your winter gas is gone.
Keep the saw cool and put it in a shady spot every time you shut it down
Buy summer gas

If you press your primer bulb and it fills with gas that then bubbles and disappears, then for sure that’s the case.

The saw is used on fuels projects all summer long and randomly happens. Temps vary from 85-105. It's all fresh 91 non ethanol fuel.

See if it has spark when it quits.
My neighbor just went through this with his 562, it was the coil. It had no spark when it quit.
He put the coil off his blown up 550 on it, runs great now but everyone says it'll blow it up with that coil on it, im sure something is off a touch but it sure cuts fast and runs good lol.

Next question. What’s the year of manufacture of the saw?
There have been several improvements to the 562xp over the years. The last 2 carb versions are a big step up from early models.

Back