Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh they have differences alright. 123s use points instead of an electroinic ignition is another difference. They are in the same line however and share about 80-90% of their parts.

Dan

Wooohoooo!

I went to a local Chainsaw repair shop and guess what?
They had a whole pull chord housing which fitted.
My Saw IS a XL-130, but the housing from a VI 130 SL is identical, so I just swapped it over and Hey Presto! The BEAST is back!
Ready to rip some Pine beetle Kill! :clap::greenchainsaw:
Thanks for the help guys!
This site is awesome!
Kenny

707g

Hi,

This thread inspired me to get out my 707G on the weekend. I had a roll of 1/2" chain and a 36" hardnose bar put aside for this saw, so I had a loop made up and fitted the bar. I had not started this saw for many months, but she fired up easily and ran very smoothly without any issues. I will need a new 8 tooth 1/2" sprocket for the saw, as the current one is just about at the end of its service life.

Love these old geardrives!

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Real niice 707. It's kind of cool how the styling of these saws changed so much from year to year back then. They used the same guts for the most part, but changed the clothes greatly. Quite a change in marketing from what you see today.

Been staring at these stumps for the last 10 years. Decided that today, which was hotter than hell, was the perfect day to start taking them down. A little digging and pressure washing to get the stump ready. Pulled out the ole' 2100S with a half-wrap and a 36" chipper setup. Got the first section out easily enough. Sharpened the chain once, didn't feel like sharpening it a second time after I accidentally hit mud so I just dragged out the 056MII to finish the second cut. Promptly threw the chain when I attempted a plunge cut. Got it the second time. I used the 990G w/ 20" shorty to block up the sections so I could move them. Should have gotten a shot of me cutting. The 2100S didn't lose any parts so I'll say it ran very well.:rock:

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Did ya already flip the sprocket over? You can run 'em for a bit that way to get a little more life out of it. :)

Gary

Thanks for the tip Gary. Unfortunately the sprocket is deeply worn on both sides, so will have to replace it.

How is that Homelite of yours coming along? Great score on that 1/2" square ground chain you picked up the other day!

Regards,

Chris.

Been staring at these stumps for the last 10 years. Decided that today, which was hotter than hell, was the perfect day to start taking them down. A little digging and pressure washing to get the stump ready. Pulled out the ole' 2100S with a half-wrap and a 36" chipper setup. Got the first section out easily enough. Sharpened the chain once, didn't feel like sharpening it a second time after I accidentally hit mud so I just dragged out the 056MII to finish the second cut. Promptly threw the chain when I attempted a plunge cut. Got it the second time. I used the 990G w/ 20" shorty to block up the sections so I could move them. Should have gotten a shot of me cutting. The 2100S didn't lose any parts so I'll say it ran very well.:rock:

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice job Chris,
You don't see then 2100's with half wraps
very often. The 990G is looking good.

Lee

Thanks for the tip Gary. Unfortunately the sprocket is deeply worn on both sides, so will have to replace it.

How is that Homelite of yours coming along? Great score on that 1/2" square ground chain you picked up the other day!

Regards,

Chris.

It's comin' along great. I just need to get it in some wood. It's ready to eat. :)

Gary

Hi,

'Half wrap' is referring to the handle on the 2100. Instead of a 'full wrap' handle it is fitted with the 'half wrap' or flush cut handle.

Hope this has clarified things.

Regards,

Chris.

crap now I realy feel stupid-I no the handles ales hear full rap never half rap so it threw me off--I thought it mite be a chain I never herd of--Someone got a dunce cap LOL.:monkey:

XP1020 Super A

Well it looks like I'll keep this thread going. I trading for this saw and it was in sad condition. It was listed on the trading post or swap meet, don't remember. I don't have a pic of what it was like but here is what it is now. When I got it the rings where stuck and no recoil (Thanks Wildman for the new one). I completely tore it down and put new seals (took some time for them but found them at a local bearing shop). I unfroze the rings and repainted. You can see where the wrap mounts the case is broke. I don't think it will hurt but time will tell. If not looks like I will be heading to my buddies shop and we'll weld something in place and touch it up. I noticed the damage on the tear down but for some reason I didn't think nothing of it. I realized how it happened when I put the full wrap handle on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

looks a bit buggered up but shouldn't hurt anything---Nice saw didn't see what size is it---Looks like my c-52 except red

Well it looks like I'll keep this thread going. I trading for this saw and it was in sad condition. It was listed on the trading post or swap meet, don't remember. I don't have a pic of what it was like but here is what it is now. When I got it the rings where stuck and no recoil (Thanks Wildman for the new one). I completely tore it down and put new seals (took some time for them but found them at a local bearing shop). I unfroze the rings and repainted. You can see where the wrap mounts the case is broke. I don't think it will hurt but time will tell. If not looks like I will be heading to my buddies shop and we'll weld something in place and touch it up. I noticed the damage on the tear down but for some reason I didn't think nothing of it. I realized how it happened when I put the full wrap handle on it.
Good job on the cleanup of the saw sefh3. It is a shame about the case being broken in that area - hopefully you can get it repaired, as otherwise you are up for a new casing. I guess the other way to go is to put a half wrap handle on it as a compromise. Decisions!

All the best with it though - it is a nice old saw.

Regards,

Chris.

I wonder if the case on this saw can be welded. I've asked this several times and never got a response from anyone. These are magnesium alloy cases are they not? I'm wondering if your buddy can weld magnesium or maybe braze it, I've sawed and used a grinder on magnesium before and about started a fire doing that! On my old saw that had a bad case I used JB Weld with pretty good success..it's better than I thought it would be, sets up pretty hard.

I wonder if the case on this saw can be welded. I've asked this several times and never got a response from anyone. These are magnesium alloy cases are they not? I'm wondering if your buddy can weld magnesium or maybe braze it, I've sawed and used a grinder on magnesium before and about started a fire doing that! On my old saw that had a bad case I used JB Weld with pretty good success..it's better than I thought it would be, sets up pretty hard.

It takes special equipment to braze magnesium cause the fumes are toxic and it fires up real easy

Back