Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 291609View attachment 291610View attachment 291612
Ok just picked this up. Spark is good. Compression is good. Cylinder is good. Will pop a couple times but won't stay running. Even at full throttle. Seems to be getting fuel but of course will be sourcing a fuel line and carb kit. Even if those were no good I should be able to get it to run for a few seconds by putting some gas down the carb but it won't.

I am reading that I should be checking the reed valves however i am unfamiliar with what these are and how to check them on this saw.

Any ideas or further steps to take would be helpful.

Figured out where the reed valves were and checked them out. Seem good. Same problem. Can get a couple pops out of it then nothing. Very wet in the cylinder. Could gas be leaking through into the cylinder from somewhere. As well I'm going to pull the flywheel and make sure the key way Hansent sheared. Could be a timing problem.

Still scratching my head.

Yep. SXL-AO production ended around late 1994 or early 1995. The last ones were John Deere branded.

I think it should be said (because its a fact) that they look marvelous in yellow and black. More than a few red and black ones from the same time period.

I think it should be said (because its a fact) that they look marvelous in yellow and black. More than a few red and black ones from the same time period.

They do look good. Some late blue ones from that period as well (but not the same blue as the much older blue/white XL-12 saws). Those were the 'nostalgia' models; "Big Red", "Old Blue", and "Super XL Automatic Limited Edition". Homelite produced "Little Red" branded Super 2's during that time too...

cleaned it up, damn these things have more nooks and crany's than i've ever seen.:dizzy:. found a bar and chain and a correct pull handle. cuts pretty good for the chain that's on it. and i can't hear again.:msp_wink: in the future i think i'll do a repaint and stickers.
attachment.php
attachment.php
thank's for looking.

Looks like the oiler works.:msp_tongue:

Very cool, man. Inspires me to get my ass in gear to start working on the few old grinders I've acquired over the winter. Couple other projects needing completion first, but every time I see these types of posts I get more stoked about diving into my older saw projects just waiting in the wings...of which there are several at this point. Actually, too many, but who's counting?

None are as cool as yours, tho!:bowdown:

I was giving a box with a 1050 in it today. It is all apart and the cylinder and piston are shot. Is there a super version and standard version of the 1050? At least I think it is a 1050 from what I can see on the recoil:confused:

I'm guessing finding a cylinder and piston will not be easy on this one.

I was giving a box with a 1050 in it today. It is all apart and the cylinder and piston are shot. Is there a super version and standard version of the 1050? At least I think it is a 1050 from what I can see on the recoil:confused:

Yes, There is a 1050 and a Super 1050.
There is a piston on ebay now. Just listed yesterday i think.

Lee

cleaned it up, damn these things have more nooks and crany's than i've ever seen.:dizzy:. found a bar and chain and a correct pull handle. cuts pretty good for the chain that's on it. and i can't hear again.:msp_wink: in the future i think i'll do a repaint and stickers.
attachment.php
attachment.php
thank's for looking.

I have been working on a Homelite 9-26 sams saw only gear drive wait tell you start to paint man a #### load of parts a lot of work hope to be done soon :msp_unsure:

I have a piston (2.1875" dia.) that I'm only 95% postitive it is for a 1050 if you need it.

Best to locate a cylinder first.

Carl.

I have a piston (2.1875" dia.) that I'm only 95% postitive it is for a 1050 if you need it.

Best to locate a cylinder first.

Carl.

I'm most interesting in this. I will check the cylinder out closer but from the looks of it it is no good. THe between the rings (thick ones) that area is broken so it had a major failure and I think the cylinder is scratch beyond use. I will have to try and clean it first and see. All I have done is set the box on the floor for now. I think the saw has been sitting in a box for some years. I got the saw from the guy I bought my stump grinder from. I knew he had it but didn't want to lean on him to bad for it and today I was grinding stumps in his neighbors back yard and got to talking here and there and then I had it:clap:

One can never have to many 6 cubes correct me if I'm wrong:msp_wink:

XL-12 were manual oiler only unless it has the superXL designation then it has an auto.

I have not had to work on the manual oiler as the one I had worked. There can't be too much to it.

Yes, I know. I'm guessing that this is an older saw. I cleaned it up a little this morning, replaced the fuel line, and got it running a little while ago. Needs a clutch cover and neither oiler appears to be working. :msp_sad:

View attachment 291806

View attachment 291807

View attachment 291808

That's an early Super XL Automatic. Probably 1965-1967 or so. The large threaded 'plug' looking thing next to the oiler filler cap is the oil pickup for the auto oiler. Unscrew it. There's a pickup tube arrangement that hangs from it. Probably badly gunked up. I'll bet the bottom of that oil tank is full of chips and crud, keeping any oil from getting to the pickup (which is probably plugged anyways). Flush it out, and flush out the tank. Once it's back together, put a few inches of kerosene in the tank to help it prime for the first time. Once it's primed, fill 'er up with bar oil.

I have a saw like yours. Needs basic fuel system attention, some clutch parts, and a clutch cover. Mine has the 'blockoff' plug where the manual oiler goes (making it AO only). Many of the early Super XL Automatic and XL Automatic saws were sold this way. Homelite sold a manual oiler 'kit' that dealers could install on these saws.

There was also a Super XL-12. 3.55ci like an SXL-AO or Super XL Automatic, but with only the manual oiler and with a single flat reed rather than the pyramid reed setup. I can't remember which reed setup my early Super XL Automatic (like yours) has..........................thinking it has the flat reed. As your saw is a Super XL Automatic rather than an XL Automatic, it will be 3.55ci rather than 3.3ci like an XL-12.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will check it out as soon as I have the free time to do so. Since i haven't seen the answer yet anywhere else, is the oiler adjustable?

Thanks for the info. I will check it out as soon as I have the free time to do so. Since i haven't seen the answer yet anywhere else, is the oiler adjustable?

No it's not. The auto pump on these puts out plenty of oil for a 16" bar. With a 20" bar on these saws, I hit the manual oiler every once in a while to 'supplement'. How often I push the manual pump is my oiler 'adjustment' on the fly.:D

Thanks again for the info. It's sort of what I expected. I don't know yet if I'm going to keep it. I guess if I get the oiler going I'll have an excuse to find a B/C and clutch cover and put it to work.

Latest posts

Back