Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ugamemym.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I saved this Homelite from the scrapyard. Opened it up and found the P&C were badly scored. I thought they looked similar to the original EZ so I got into my spare parts and guess what - same parts. The crank bearings felt tight and smooth so I put it back together with the good P&C, put new diaphragms in the carb, did a general clean up and it runs good. Clutch and drum look the same as a C51 and the sprocket shows just a little wear. Aside from a cracked engine shroud and repaired plug wire, this thing looks original and in pretty good shape. Fuel and oil tanks are clean.

So, what model is it? I can't find any model number on the saw - there may be a guard missing around the carb. I looked through the Acres site but short of opening each model, I couldn't find it.

I'll probably be selling it.

View attachment 343480 View attachment 343481 View attachment 343482 View attachment 343483

Looks to be close to a 1959-60-61? BUZ. Tank is a bit different though
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...2af75304ded7273988256b06000c84b4?OpenDocument

Anyone have an idea what this is

This is a Homelite 500. It was similiar to the Buz and the engine was like the Zip. They just made the gas tank and outer pieces cheaper, but the engines were very good. The spec. sheet says manufactured in 1960 (blue) and in 1961 (red). we only sold 3 in 61 and 62. The C-5 came out and they sold for about the same amount of money which did away with the low price market for the 500/
chainsawlady

Many thanks. I thought I checked the 500 listing but I guess not. That's it for sure. "Low cost consumer saw" title fits it pretty good. The rear handle is solid but wouldn't take a lot of stress. I see there should be a cover around the carb as well. As I said, he P&C are the same as the EZ, EZ6, 600, etc. It runs as strong as a C51 and of course, is just as loud. Bar, chain and sprocket are in pretty good shape so it looks like it was straight-gassed early in it's life.

You may be 100 percent correct it came with some pump and generator stuff

na2u8usy.jpg

This is kind of long. If y'all are not in the mood for an essay you might just want to turn away.

My Homelite success story/saga in miniature:

Picked this one up at a local pawn 2 years ago for $20. I really intended to flip it on feebay and try to make a few dollars. But I'm notorious for falling in love with stuff and I'm hard headed. I thought an air filter might be a good idea so I put one on it. I finally got it started but it ran really bad and would not idle. I figured it was the carb. It sat there for like 2 years and my CAD started acting up again bigtime after being in remission for 2 years. I began trying to get her going. I got input several times on this site (much appreciated - this is the best and least smart alec forum on the web). I rebuilt the carb and that helped it. I installed the duck bill valve and oil tube in the oil tank and that helped, but still ran bad. Put a new starter rope on it because it wouldn't recoil right. When I took the starter pully off the spring swarmed, but I got the starter back together. Then I replaced the oil lines because one of them had split. Keep in mind you could cut wood with this saw, it would just cause you to sin greatly in speech. Plus it just didn't have a lot of power. I just thought these little guys are week. I just kept thinking that one of these little things would finally cure it. Since it ran erratic, I really thought it was the crank seals so I split the crankcase to have a look at them. They looked good. Dedgum I thought. I will never get this thing going right. I have run out of options. Then I fearfully pulled out the piston. When I did, the ring fell out in 3 pieces. I know I'm dumb for not actually running a compression check, but it actually felt pretty decent by pulling the rope. Anyway, I put a new ring on since the piston looked good and the cylinder was not scored. The little sucker runs like a champ now. Has a surprising amount of power. Also sounds like it should. With the broken ring, it sort of sounded like half chainsaw and half like the "car" on The Jetsons.

I put a lot of hours in this little guy. I have this feeling of satisfaction...but oh the cost! If there was a competition for disassembling/reassembling a homelite XL, i would really want to enter it. I must have split the plastic open to access the inside like 10 times. Anyway, thought I'd share. Hopefully this will make you laugh or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you got it running and it looks like it's in real nice shape. Those little saws have their place - great for camping.

I believe Brad Sneller once advised never to try to run an unknown saw without a teardown to look for carbon, missing or broken parts, etc.
I agree but have to admit, I don't always do it.

image.jpg Finally got the tank off this XL-901. Had to drill out screws, cut slots in screws, unsuccessful impact driver attempts, broken screws, broken screw drivers. Delirious effort.

The next time I see a $5 old Homie with petrified gas and Phillips screws holding the tank together - I don't care if you question my CAD, question my patriotism, my salvation, integrity, manhood or whatever - I am walking away.

I'll try to post a pic. Note the broken and drilled out screws in the photo.

Latest posts

Back