Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang cad... Couldn't stop myself. Pics to follow soon. Seller got me with the ole "buy one get one free".

I was chasing a one owner 550. He threw in his dads McCulloch 1-42. 550 came with original manual and receipt.

As promised.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 37
Oh yeah, the "freebie". Looks to be complete, and in pretty good shape. Crack in the clutch side cover, otherwise very good. I dumped some oil down the plug hole, give her a few days and we'll see. Seller said it might be more of a project. Very nice fella. Even gave me a Baileys catalog, dog eared for the right chains for the 550. Felt like I bought the saw he wanted to give to his son. Apparently his sons aren't interested in big old American chainsaws [shrug]. I let him know that I fully intend to make chips fly from both saws in the near future. The 550 runs, although a bit hard to start on his (he insisted we use his) several month old 32:1 mix. (Says its all its ever seen).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 17
Here's another pic of my 'new' 925 in it's natural habitat...quite surprised how well it performs blocking and she's got a wicked bark...:)

8A1F9AEB-5D44-464D-8C16-16B1D27BE15F_zpsvczvsw4w.jpg

Nice find Gary. I don't know anything about those. Were they a Homelite built saw near the end?

Tim, they were the last of the professional grade logging saws Homelite produced. There is considerable debate over what influence (if any) Solo may have had in the design.

yrupe5eb.jpg

by5a9ahe.jpg

anynaje7.jpg

Homelite C5 I picked up that was on Craigslist last week.

The starter free spins unless the rope is pulled hard,( not sure if that is correct or not), and there is a lot of dried junk in the tank.

What's the best way to clean out the tank?

What's the best way to clean out the tank?

Lacquer thinner and a bunch o' small pieces o' hardware (little nuts an' bolts amd b-b's and stuff like that) thrown in to shake around in the tank to bust up the spooge. Mineral spirits will be kinder to rubber and gasket material if ya wanna try that first, but if it's crusted varnish you're facing, the soft parts and gasket material are probably trash anyway.

Lacquer thinner and a bunch o' small pieces o' hardware (little nuts an' bolts amd b-b's and stuff like that) thrown in to shake around in the tank to bust up the spooge. Mineral spirits will be kinder to rubber and gasket material if ya wanna try that first, but if it's crusted varnish you're facing, the soft parts and gasket material are probably trash anyway.

Thank You

Latest posts

Back