Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm looking for a aftermarket crank seals for my upright cylinder (775D)
don't know if anyone has climbed that mountain before me.
it's too small to get a good read with the calipers

Well, this kid needs to run to his daddies. My XL-901 project continues. I finally got the tank together that haunted me for so long and put it all back together. Now she won't run right. I'm going to drop what I think might be clues and hopefully y'all can bail me out.

(1) I rebuilt the walbro sdc carb with a major rebuild kit. Set the needle valve assembly to dead level with the "dawgs" per the walbro sdc manual.
(2) one of the new welch plugs snapped in perfectly tight. The other one snapped in, but it didn't fit in tightly. It ain't coming out, but you can move it slightly.
(3). The saw will sort of try to run. It will pop once, twice or three times every time you pull the rope, but it will never line out and run. If you prime it by putting a little mix down the carb intake, it will run longer, but never at a high rpm. It runs like a short low rpm burst like a saw does when it first hits when you choke a cold saw. Problem is it don't run after you turn the choke off and try to start it and it never runs fast.
(4) The compression measures 138 psi.
(5) The rope is hard to pull. Definitely the kind that could hurt you arm if your not careful. Through all this cranking, it has kicked back quite a few times. Not cool. I would swear it was out of time or something, but the timing is fixed. The flywheel key does not appear to be bent. I am surprised it is this hard to pull the rope.
(6) She has a nice spark on the plug when I crank it through on the new CJ-8 plug.
(7) I started out with the high and low jets at 1 turn per the walbro manual and have tried everything between 1/2 turn and two and a half turns. That really hasn't affected it.

Your thoughts please. I need this baby to run.

Might try another condenser if you have one. My XP-1020 would flat tear you up trying to start it until I replaced the bad condenser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, this kid needs to run to his daddies. My XL-901 project continues. I finally got the tank together that haunted me for so long and put it all back together. Now she won't run right. I'm going to drop what I think might be clues and hopefully y'all can bail me out.

(1) I rebuilt the walbro sdc carb with a major rebuild kit. Set the needle valve assembly to dead level with the "dawgs" per the walbro sdc manual.
(2) one of the new welch plugs snapped in perfectly tight. The other one snapped in, but it didn't fit in tightly. It ain't coming out, but you can move it slightly.
(3). The saw will sort of try to run. It will pop once, twice or three times every time you pull the rope, but it will never line out and run. If you prime it by putting a little mix down the carb intake, it will run longer, but never at a high rpm. It runs like a short low rpm burst like a saw does when it first hits when you choke a cold saw. Problem is it don't run after you turn the choke off and try to start it and it never runs fast.
(4) The compression measures 138 psi.
(5) The rope is hard to pull. Definitely the kind that could hurt you arm if your not careful. Through all this cranking, it has kicked back quite a few times. Not cool. I would swear it was out of time or something, but the timing is fixed. The flywheel key does not appear to be bent. I am surprised it is this hard to pull the rope.
(6) She has a nice spark on the plug when I crank it through on the new CJ-8 plug.
(7) I started out with the high and low jets at 1 turn per the walbro manual and have tried everything between 1/2 turn and two and a half turns. That really hasn't affected it.

Your thoughts please. I need this baby to run.

I've had some larger saws that were normally good mannered kick back hard if the high side mixture was too rich. You need to get that welch plug sealed up. Tap the center with a flat punch to spread it a little more and seal it with nail polish as Jerry said.
I have a 902 AM that's giving me fits and I think I've narrowed it down to the carb.

Barn Find Homelite. I nice fella gave this saw to me. It's a Super Wiz 80. According to Acres it's about 96cc.
The 1/2" chain appears new and never sharpened. The piston looks new through the exhaust port. I don't know anything about these... are they worth having?
I'm assuming it should clean up decent after a bath. I haven't tried starting it yet.

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

Barn Find Homelite. I nice fella gave this saw to me. It's a Super Wiz 80. According to Acres it's about 96cc.
The 1/2" chain appears new and never sharpened. The piston looks new through the exhaust port. I don't know anything about these... are they worth having?
I'm assuming it should clean up decent after a bath. I haven't tried starting it yet.

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

You dont want it send it my way ill take it off your hands...

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

I really like the OILY ones! They always seem to be good under all the crud. I guess it acts as a preservative.

Meanwhile with the XL 901...

Sawnami: Thanks for your input. I put another condenser on it. It helped it. It has a "better looking" spark now. It doesn't kick back nearly as bad and it will actually run for a few seconds now.

Jerrycmorrow and fossil: Thanks guys. I've definitely got some carb issues. The welch plug definitely concerns me and I will attempt to spread it out and put some nail polish on it as well. I finally got it to run awhile today. Here are the symptoms. These symptoms are before I have worked on the welch plugs:

(1) I have to crank it like 15 times to get it to start. It gradually builds up and will finally run for a little while. When it dies, you're cranking like 15-20 times to get it to run again.
(2) adjusting the high speed adjustment makes absolutely no difference while it is running.
(3) a small amount of fuel leaks out of the carb. The carb is sort of tilted backwards on the saw. In other words, the fuel/air mixture sort of has to run uphill by design. I'm not sure if the fuel coming out is an issue or not since it is tilted backwards.
(4) although it doesn't kick back as bad as it did before the condenser replacement, it still kicks back - like it is flooding
(5) smokes like it is flooding while running

The other concern in the carb is the needle setting. I set it like the walbro manual says. But it almost seems like the needle can't really move up and down much at all with the needle set that low. I'm an average carb repairer at best, but I'm thinking if the needle is set too low it would be too lean. If set too high it would flood. Is this correct thinking?

Did I mention my skinny arm is killing me?

You may have answered this previously but is your metering side stacked: carb body, metering diaphragm gasket, metering diaphragm, then metering diaphragm cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Meanwhile with the XL 901...

The other concern in the carb is the needle setting. I set it like the walbro manual says. But it almost seems like the needle can't really move up and down much at all with the needle set that low. I'm an average carb repairer at best, but I'm thinking if the needle is set too low it would be too lean. If set too high it would flood. Is this correct thinking?

Did I mention my skinny arm is killing me?

I thought the carb was a Tillotson HS on a 901.
If it is and you set the metering needle height like a Walbro, it will be way too high.

Well guys...I went in a took the carb apart. The smaller welch plug (the upper one shown below) was out of the hole and just flopping around in there. I knew it was sort of loose but dang. I did like fossil said and used a punch to tap it in. It's tight now. I feel slightly idiotic.

Sawnami: yes - I do have those items in the correct order and thanks for asking.

Fossil: I know the acres site lists only the Tillotson. Here is the photo of what I have below. This is a Walbro, right?

Y'all please see if you like the height on the needle adjustment as well, please.

I'm going to stick it all back together soon and report back. Hopefully my arm will feel better by then

image.jpg image.jpg

I got a bunch of parts the other day and in the midst of them all were these:
All original. It says on the element box(set of 5) that they fit the S, xl, AO models, but I don't know that for sure. Even the scrench is brand new never used! Any interest in these?

Ted
upload_2014-6-8_14-47-3.jpeg

...and more on the XL 901...

I got the welch plug properly seated and tried that. It runs better but still not very good. I tried it first with the needle valve set as pictured above. It would only start on prime, but it would run for pretty good burst and then just die after about 8 seconds. It seemed like it was just running out of gas so I went back into the carb and raised the needle as to try to richer it up. It would not adjust out with the high speed jet so I figured I needed to do something with the needle setting.

After I raised the needle setting, it improved but still not good. At one turn open on the high speed screw, it would start after priming and run finally long enough for me to adjust it. Before adjusting it would run super rich so I slowly closed the screw. It would run really good, fast, and strong after I tightened the screw to like only 1/4 turn open. It would run as long as I had it wide open. If I let off the throttle to see if it would idle, it would just die. And I cannot get it to restart even with a prime at that high speed setting at 1/4 turn.

There are times it will start with the throttle lock on which is probably like at 1/4 throttle, but as soon as you try to open up the throttle it just dies. The low speed jet is set at 1 turn.

I am wondering if I have a messed up carb or got a bad diaphragm in the kit I put in. Any thoughts would be appreciated and my right arm would really appreciate you. Thanks!

Any chance you have another carb from a running saw you could try? Maybe one from an |XL-12 or Super XLAO?
That would at least eliminate or point to your carb. I am having issues similar to you with a 902. When I get a chance I'm going to try a different carb.

Fossil: unfortunately not. I think that probably is going to be my next move is trying to find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back