Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What cylinder do you guys think this is, a 650 piston will slide in but it is tight
d18f6b57eaad9a69102521d4e5a9d8e5.jpg

Sure looks like a 650 cylinder. 750s besides obviously being a little bigger, had removable covers over the transfers. 650 cylinders didn't have the removable covers. That decomp setup is unique to 650s and 750s.
Dan

Got my C5 out yesterday to drop a tree and it would only sputter and run ragged like it was missing. Last used it bout two months ago when it was hot and it ran great. Turned off colder here so am wondering if coils are affected by the cold as well as heat. Had the same symptoms on my XL 12 couple months ago; was the coil. So, without checking, I'm assuming coil. Course I will check all components when I tear it down.
Question still remains regarding coils and cold.

Got my C5 out yesterday to drop a tree and it would only sputter and run ragged like it was missing. Last used it bout two months ago when it was hot and it ran great. Turned off colder here so am wondering if coils are affected by the cold as well as heat. Had the same symptoms on my XL 12 couple months ago; was the coil. So, without checking, I'm assuming coil. Course I will check all components when I tear it down.
Question still remains regarding coils and cold.

Check the plug wire. My friend has an old c-5 that had those symptoms and the wire was rotted out of the boot push the wire in and it ran fine.

Nice saw. Not many hours on that judging by the plate left on the muffler.

Thank you, Im just excited to have a 80cc saw with a decomp. lol p/c looks good and compression is good. fuel line and carb kit and I will have to do a 80cc comparison. sxl925 vs xl923 vs c7.

So Carl. You saying the Lead on the C coils doesn't screw on or off? What, it's glued in?

Yup pushed in on the tiny nail in the center bottom and glued. The trouble is, if you pull it out, the secondary to nail connection is broke. At least it happened to me twice.

Several times now I've used a 16 ga. butt splice to connect a new length of plug wire to the old. Make the gap very short. Use a 1 1/2 " length of 1/4" rubber hose and slide it over the splice for insulation. Goober some sealer over the splice first. I use Liquid Tape from Lowes.

Plan ahead so the splice has plenty of room to clear it's surroundings.

Yup pushed in on the tiny nail in the center bottom and glued. The trouble is, if you pull it out, the secondary to nail connection is broke. At least it happened to me twice.

Several times now I've used a 16 ga. butt splice to connect a new length of plug wire to the old. Make the gap very short. Use a 1 1/2 " length of 1/4" rubber hose and slide it over the splice for insulation. Goober some sealer over the splice first. I use Liquid Tape from Lowes.

Plan ahead so the splice has plenty of room to clear it's surroundings.
10-4 but seems like using the butt splice would preclude a short gap since they're typically 1/2 - 3/4" long. Ever tried twisting the ends, soldering, and then liquid tape?

Reporting back on my crank seal problem. I installed the skf 6119 seal with high temp silicon on the edge. Let it cure, reassembled, pulled a few times, started right up idling nice. I think my high and low were around 1.25 turns. Here is a pic of the seal job.

My XL12 is a manual oiler only. So before I put it in wood I checked the oiler. Nothing. Oil was full. I unscrewed the oil pump. Everything looked good except the o ring, it looked as if it was well used or not the right size. Gonna go to the hardware store and pick one up. Is there anything else I should check on those oilers?
Everyone thanks for helping me identify the saw and advice on the seal. Fossil a big thanks to you man really appreciate it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back