Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pic I posted is the clearest one I could find online, just want to confirm it... The IPL I have says duckbill on the pressure line,,, but I'm not sure which is the pressure (crank case) fitting on the engine...

Pretty sure it's the elbow fitting. Blow some air through the other one to see if it comes out at the bar mount..., or blow some air through the duckbill line to see if oil comes out at the bar mount.
Blew carb cleaner thru the straight fitting,,, and it didn't come out bar hole,,, there is a check vale in the pump, according to the IPL, so blowing that direction would close it...

The top elbow fitting is referred to as the 'oil line' fitting in the IPL and the straight fitting is simply referred to as a 'tube fitting' corresponding to a 'pressure line' going to the tank which is the one with the duckbill valve. Based on that, I'd say the routing in the pic is correct. The other line is actually referred to as an 'oil line' with its corresponding fitting referred to as an 'oil line fitting'. But now ya got me wanting to tear one apart just to refresh my memory anyway!

The top elbow fitting is referred to as the 'oil line' fitting in the IPL and the straight fitting is simply referred to as a 'tube fitting' corresponding to a 'pressure line' going to the tank which is the one with the duckbill valve. Based on that, I'd say the routing in the pic is correct. The other line is actually referred to as an 'oil line' with its corresponding fitting referred to as an 'oil line fitting'. But now ya got me wanting to tear one apart just to refresh my memory anyway!
Well, if ya have time and are bored it would be nice to confirm!!! I think that pic I posted is the best one online!!!! Just want to confirm it... I saw that routing on two different youtubes... But its the internet, they could both be wrong,,, but I think its right...
I'll check back to see what ya find... I posted the UT # as there a a lot of different saws like this...
Thanks again for your help...

Glad I could help. Took me a minute to re-gather my composure on the rascals. And as luck would have it, the one I found in my pile of goodies already had the tank removed, so I'm glad you brought all this oil line stuff to my attention so I'll get em right when I put it back together. LOL As I recall, I need to find a coil for it first, tho. They're not too bad to work on after doing a couple. Nice little runners when you get one dialed in. Good luck with yours.

0407201839_resized.jpg

Thanks,,, I'll need the luck!!! Its my buddys saw, he ordered a carb kit for it, and they shorted us the diaphragm with the flapper valves,,, I was hoping to find a single someplace,, but no luck yet...

I had an old guy at a shop tell me that if I only had one spike/ dog I should take it off or the saw will always cut crooked, is that why you guys took them off? He was referring mostly to production bucking.
No, we took them off to gain the little bit of length they took up. I just never saw a need for them. We weren't in the logging business, but 4 generations of residential tree care, so we took down a lot of big trees. Often we had to chunk trees down, dropping the blocks in one spot in a garden. Couldn't tear up the customers yards. It was common to use Super 1050's up a tree, and Dad kept his saws sharp enough, that you never had to use the dogs to get leverage to pull the bar around. I still don't use them, don't climb any more either.

Now, talking about a single dog making a crooked cut, I don't know. But, valleyfirewood once asked why I made my stump cuts so high? The main reason is we would always make all of the felling cuts about waist high to keep from dulling saws. Then have a groundie following with a grubbing hoe, cleaning the stumps. At waist high, I could bend over a little, lock my right elbow, and use that as a pivot point and pull the saw/bar around with my left hand on the trigger. Guys that were not strong enough to hold a big saw with 3-4' bars, and got a wobbley start, would have crooked cuts. Even with a single dog, if you have both hands on the saw, that's what holds it square. But, I'm not the best person to ask about dogs.

Here's the only pick I have of me with a Super 1050, notice I'm wearing glasses and ear muffs. LOL. I don't have much trouble with crooked cuts with out dogs.
oMvl9JB.jpg

qiCeQ9h.jpg

Here's the only pick I have of me with a Super 1050, notice I'm wearing glasses and ear muffs. LOL. I don't have much trouble with crooked cuts with out dogs.
oMvl9JB.jpg

qiCeQ9h.jpg
Haha yeah ear muffs !
Thats a good perspective on dogs/ spikes . Being a short person like myself I find the falling spikes helpful with cuts above chest height. That same saw your using looks twice as big with me holding it , I do find once my back cut is barely started I usually just let the saw feed. When stumping though I'll pick the closest spot to the ground and pivot on the dog to keep from hitting dirt on the other side.

Haha yeah ear muffs !
Thats a good perspective on dogs/ spikes . Being a short person like myself I find the falling spikes helpful with cuts above chest height. That same saw your using looks twice as big with me holding it , I do find once my back cut is barely started I usually just let the saw feed. When stumping though I'll pick the closest spot to the ground and pivot on the dog to keep from hitting dirt on the other side.
Flushing stumps is the only time I'd use dogs now. When I was still working. I would hold the trigger in my right hand, wedge my right foot in between the handle and tank, sit on my left foot, and lean away from the saw on my left hand. That made my right foot the pivot point, and kept my face as far from the exhaust as possible.

Back