Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got the pesky XL-103 up & running like a champ today.I put the carb back in with a freshly made gasket & reinstalled the coil along with a new plug wire too.I had a helluva time getting the fuel line back on,but finally did.Put some fuel in it & it fired up on the 2nd pull.That poor saw hasn't run that good in decades most likely.I'm just trying to locate an air filter for it that doesn't cost $25+.Feebay is ridiculous.

I got this old blue & white XL-12 running again.It had no carb,air filter,or air filter cover,& I found out later that the oiler didn't work.When I started out working on this saw it had great blue spark,but diminished to nothing after a very short run.I pulled it apart & lightly cleaned the points & put a good used condenser in it.I got it all together & still couldn't get it to run.Come to find out the aslmost new plug was no good.As for the oiler,I came to the conclusion after pulling it apart the 2nd time that either the elbow with the check valve in it,or the copper line that feeds the plunger must've had a hair line crack in it.It pumps oil like a gusher now.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 5
Apologies if there is an answer in here already but trying to search through these 678 Homelite pages on my not-so-smart phone hasn't been successful.

Was given a Homelite CSP 3314, obviously has had very little use and was told "something's loose inside". Once back in the workshop the saw started after a bit of fiddling but only ran at high revs. Turned out one of the two screws holding the carb system to the cylinder was snapped and the gasket was in a few pieces.

Removed the snapped off piece, have a suitable screw and can make a new gasket.

My question - is this model going to be worthwhile fixing? Seems they were an el-cheapo Big Box store special in their day. Whenever I search the Poulan 3314 pops up. Are they the same?

Please ignore my post - got the saw back together and running. It is a piece of rubbish. Starts and runs OK, but although the motor can rev well there's no real power. Easy enough to work on but the components and overall construction is very ticky tacky.
Glad the price was right, i.e. zero $

Please ignore my post - got the saw back together and running. It is a piece of rubbish. Starts and runs OK, but although the motor can rev well there's no real power. Easy enough to work on but the components and overall construction is very ticky tacky.
Glad the price was right, i.e. zero $
As a rule…HOMELITE is a solid, made in USA product. Homelite is box store junk that has no connection to the great company it once was.

Had I known that wouldn't have accepted the free saw.

Actually it was only because the name Homelite appeared frequently on this website, made me think it might be an OK saw.

ArboristSite giveth, and also taketh away

This wacker is the “newest” HOMELITE I’ve come across, still made in North Carolina. The SXL and 923 (has 925 super top end) are real too but much older. I think I have seen a picture of a 925 chop saw in lowercase, I’m sure they had some equipment left over that they labeled with the zombie lettering. So in that rare case you could find a real Homelite. 92CB87F4-7F22-4AA8-AC4E-01F35F0BD2AD.jpeg887135CE-5129-4703-9D3F-1F1D688BE47F.jpeg541A2DF9-64F0-4A85-A6A4-5AF9024C73A4.jpeg

Here's another blue & white XL-12 that I had given to me last yr.It ran when I got it,but not right.I set it aside till a couple days ago.It had no spark,so I put a good condenser in it & now it has good spark.

The carb it was wearing wasn't the carb it came with when it was born.The old blue & whites had Tillys in them.I never saw a blue & white XL-12 with a Walbro SDc62 in it.When I pulled the carb the date stamped on the carb was 4/77.The blue & whites were last made in '73-'74.I tore the Walbro apart & couldn't find a thing wrong with it,yet it wouldn't pull fuel.I put a new fuel pump diaphragm in it & put it back on the saw & had the same problem.I ended up pulling the Walbro carb off & put a Tilly HS4C on it & the saw started on the 5th pull.It runs like a champ now,but I need the idle screw & spring that's on the carb itself.Here are some pics.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 6
Now I know where my red top bracket is ;-). I don't know where to look for a fuel tank sealant with us in Europe. Anyone have an idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20210803_185600.jpg
    IMG_20210803_185600.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 3
This is one of a few brands of fuel tank liner products. I personally use the Red-Kote. A little goes a long way, will seal several saws.
2059b9a990cc38747fef1cef299cbba4.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

I got an XL-12 from my brother back in Feb.& it was the worst saw I'd ever seen.It lay in a manure & dirt pile for who knows how long.The drivecase cover was eaten away by the acids in the manure.Thank goodness it lay on it's right side,otherwise the crankcase would've been eaten up.The recoil was a mass of spaghetti between the rope & the recoil spring & the pulley was seized onto the shaft.I put a different recoil on after I had a helluva time getting the recoil bolts broke loose.Surprisingly the saw had spark & fired on a prime with a loose plug in it.It took me 8 hrs.of just cleaning.All I had to do was rebuild the carb & locate a decent drivecase cover,put a different bar & chain on & I had what I thought was a good runner.

Fast forward 6 months.I got the saw out & it'd only fire on a prime.I pulled the top cover off the carb & found it loaded up with all kinds of crap.I had to pull the carb again & found out the fuel filter had fallen off the fuel line because the line was split.When I pulled the carb again the fuel line crumbled into several pieces.The carb had to have the metering diaphragm replaced,the other one had old fuel from Feb. on it that was like glue.I put the carb back on the saw from hell & it wouldn't even fire on a prime.I checked the spark & it was "good".I found out ya can't trust a blue coil of death.I pulled the module off & baked it @ 200* for 2 hrs.last night.I took another module off another XL-12 that I'd put an aftermarket module on from LRB & the saw fired right up.Now the saw from hell needs crank seals.The old module that I'd baked I put on the other XL-12 & it fired right up too,but that's only short -lived.I've found that baking the blue modules is only a short term fix,then it'll die for good eventually.

I've wanted a red XL for quite a while so that I could feel like "Ash" in the Evil Dead movies... Today I've joined the ranks of HOMELITE enthusiasts when this followed me home. I was waiting and watching local listings for the right opportunity, 2 days ago this popped up and I HAD to grab it up. It's a Super XL "Big Red", info is scarce but it seems these were the last run of the traditional Super XL.
This thing looks like it was barely even used...other than some faded plastic and sawdust this saw is minty. Owner was a well spoken gentlemen about 70, very thorough with maintaining the saw and even gave me the original manual with receipts...the Holy Grail type to buy something used from. Told me it sat for 5 years with gas in it and now it only runs above half throttle. Sounds like a carb rebuild and new fuel line (the line is hard as plastic). Also new chain and air filter, brought it home for $40. I am so darn impressed with the form and fit of this saw! The funniest part was when I got it home, the first thing I wanted to do was dump the gas out, the chain brake handle was in the way of the cap so I tried to pop the brake handle...THERE'S NO BRAKE, it's just a plastic guard. This feels like a real saw when you pick it up, lots of metal and feels like a cinder block, love it.
After a good cleaning and inspection I will dive into the carb. I can't wait to see if it will keep up with my 10-10 Macs haha...
How'd I do fellas?

Attachments

• 20210806_225714_HDR.jpg
    20210806_225714_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210806_225551.jpg
    20210806_225551.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210806_225720_HDR.jpg
    20210806_225720_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210806_225602_HDR.jpg
    20210806_225602_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210806_225729_HDR.jpg
    20210806_225729_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210806_230404.jpg
    20210806_230404.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210806_225545.jpg
    20210806_225545.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 14
I've wanted a red XL for quite a while so that I could feel like "Ash" in the Evil Dead movies... Today I've joined the ranks of HOMELITE enthusiasts when this followed me home. I was waiting and watching local listings for the right opportunity, 2 days ago this popped up and I HAD to grab it up. It's a Super XL "Big Red", info is scarce but it seems these were the last run of the traditional Super XL.
This thing looks like it was barely even used...other than some faded plastic and sawdust this saw is minty. Owner was a well spoken gentlemen about 70, very thorough with maintaining the saw and even gave me the original manual with receipts...the Holy Grail type to buy something used from. Told me it sat for 5 years with gas in it and now it only runs above half throttle. Sounds like a carb rebuild and new fuel line (the line is hard as plastic). Also new chain and air filter, brought it home for $40. I am so darn impressed with the form and fit of this saw! The funniest part was when I got it home, the first thing I wanted to do was dump the gas out, the chain brake handle was in the way of the cap so I tried to pop the brake handle...THERE'S NO BRAKE, it's just a plastic guard. This feels like a real saw when you pick it up, lots of metal and feels like a cinder block, love it.
After a good cleaning and inspection I will dive into the carb. I can't wait to see if it will keep up with my 10-10 Macs haha...
How'd I do fellas?
Very nice find! What a great price on a well cared for mint saw. You've earned a little good luck after that last frustrating project. Congrats!

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Very nice find! What a great price on a well cared for mint saw. You've earned a little good luck after that last frustrating project. Congrats!

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
Haha thanks! I'm not done with that MM25, in fact that will get assembled before I dive into this SXL.

While on the topic, does anyone know offhand the correct rebuild kit part# for this Zama carb?

Haha thanks! I'm not done with that MM25, in fact that will get assembled before I dive into this SXL.

While on the topic, does anyone know offhand the correct rebuild kit part# for this Zama carb?
The SXL should give your Mac 10-10 a run for it's money.The SXL is 58cc & the 10-10 is 54cc.Yeah,leaving old fuiel in it does a lot of not so good things to the carb & fuel lines.I have several SXLs & like them allI have several 10-10s as well & like them too.With a freshly rebuilt carb,new fuel line & filter I think you'll be quite happy with your $40 investment!Just curious,is the SXL points or electronic?

The SXL should give your Mac 10-10 a run for it's money.The SXL is 58cc & the 10-10 is 54cc.Yeah,leaving old fuiel in it does a lot of not so good things to the carb & fuel lines.I have several SXLs & like them allI have several 10-10s as well & like them too.With a freshly rebuilt carb,new fuel line & filter I think you'll be quite happy with your $40 investment!Just curious,is the SXL points or electronic?
Hello!
I have to open it up but I believe solid state.
My regular 10-10 no doubt close...the real test will be against my 58cc 10-10s, which is a hotter 10-10. :)

Yes, I am quite pleased with this purchase.

How'd I do fellas?
Not to throw shade on your dream but Bruce "Ash" Campbell wore a XL-2 top handle. Nice saw non the less.
1d6d1a53caa1d28058418235c226de0f.jpg
1ca4b3cd43ebf0e39dd9d4907eb9f6b1.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

You opened that can of worms huh?? Haha..

Read this article my good man, they used at least a few different Homelites in the movies, I saw at least the XL-2, a Super EZ, and the SXL.
However...the saw from the original movie was an XL-12, which is essentially an SXL. Then I think they modified an XL-2.
My fantasy is intact!

Movie still:

https://evildead.fandom.com/wiki/Chainsaw

Attachments

• TheEvilDead1981Chainsaw.jpg
    TheEvilDead1981Chainsaw.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5
You're taking this Evil Dead thing pretty seriously. LOL Congratulations on your acquisition. That's a very nice example you have there. Great score. A spike would be a nice touch and that air box cover may come to life with a little Pledge furniture spray.

I have one of those in nearly the same condition with essentially the same back story except mine was loaned out by the original owner and promptly straight gassed. He was quoted a ridiculous price to rebuild it and sold it to me for $35 instead. I simply haven't gotten to it yet. One of these days...

I believe you'll need an RB15 for that carb, but don't hold me to that. Easy enough to look up.

Latest posts

Back