Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow....looks like ethanol damage.
Actually, pretty typical failure for that generation of saws. If you get a 50 series Homelite, better figure on changing the boot and hoses. They don't hold up like Stihls of the same time frame. I have had plenty of 045s and 031s and 056s pass thru my hands, none of them have ever had rotted or melted boots. Damaged from being torn or pulled apart, sure, but not from fuel.

The only time I've seen carb / intake rubber parts turned to melted snot like that was rubber CV carb diaphragms on motorcycles that had been attacked by ethanol, so that's what I assumed. That intake boot on that Homelite is smoked! I can't believe they just deteriorated that bad but damn.
Just my opinion but personally I've never seen the benefit of a flexible intake boot versus a rigid manifold with gaskets.

The only time I've seen carb / intake rubber parts turned to melted snot like that was rubber CV carb diaphragms on motorcycles that had been attacked by ethanol, so that's what I assumed. That intake boot on that Homelite is smoked! I can't believe they just deteriorated that bad but damn.
Just my opinion but personally I've never seen the benefit of a flexible intake boot versus a rigid manifold with gaskets.
I as well hate the rubber intake boots, mostly for this reason. They just always seem to need replacement.

Homelite is notorious for using poor quality material for their intake boots. That applies to any of their saws that use one.

Can't have anti-vibration without a flexible intake assembly of some type. Flexible intakes became the norm in one fashion or another as part of evolving anti-vibration systems. Same holds true today.

Homelite is notorious for using poor quality material for their intake boots. That applies to any of their saws that use one.

Can't have anti-vibration without a flexible intake assembly of some type. Flexible intakes became the norm in one fashion or another as part of evolving anti-vibration systems. Same holds true today.
There are plenty of saws out there with anti vibe that have a solid carb mount.

Maybe I overstated myself a little there. But I did say flexible intake assembly, not flexible carb mount. And I was talking more about modern saws. I'm well aware of rigid mount carbs on some modern saws. Just none that are rigidly mounted directly to the cylinder. Gotta be some type of flexibility between the airbox and the engine for an effective a/v system..., provided the rear handle is connected to the airbox, of course.

I'd certainly be interested in any examples you'd like to provide.

Actually now that I think about it, the other method of handle isolation is by using a flexible throttle cable from the trigger to the carb.

I hereby stand corrected, but I'm not aware of many such saws that use that method just to eliminate the intake boot for the sake of rigidly mounting the carb to the cylinder..., which in and of itself creates a higher probability of vapor lock due to excessive heat transfer -- never mind the a/v.

I'm still interested in some examples.

Touche' on those and good enuff. But we're talking very early forays into a/v systems. The evolution to flexible intake assemblies clearly prevailed for very sound reasons..., some just a lot worse than others, particularly Homelite.
I will admit. Whatever Homelite used for rubber was not the greatest. AV mounts as well.

I have a couple "old technology" saws with a primitive AV but the carb is rigid mounted. My Mac SP40 is nothing but a souped-up Mini Mac with a rear handle and rubber mounts on the handles. The throttle linkage allows a little movement.
But I get your point, the modern AV setups rely on the flexible intake boot.

Well I figured out why the 550 would only fire on prime. Gonna need to replace that pile of mush haha
That's a familiar sight. Here's what my 550's intake boot looked like.
550RuinedBoot.jpg
This reminds me that I took a short video of the 550 doing a few test cuts right after I finished putting it back together a few months ago. I should upload it.

That's a familiar sight. Here's what my 550's intake boot looked like.
View attachment 924000
This reminds me that I took a short video of the 550 doing a few test cuts right after I finished putting it back together a few months ago. I should upload it.
Looks like you are doing better than I am. The one on my 450 is actually still intact. Its starting to get a little stiff though.

PXL_20210812_153234056 (1).jpg

Anyone use the proline intake boots for the 450/550? How are they compared to OEM? Was thinking of trying them as I'm sure even though they OEM haven't seen fuel etc, the rubber has probably broken down some just from storage, uv etc.

Anyone use the proline intake boots for the 450/550? How are they compared to OEM? Was thinking of trying them as I'm sure even though they OEM haven't seen fuel etc, the rubber has probably broken down some just from storage, uv etc.
Proline makes some pretty good stuff ,I've bought some seals and fuel line from them and no problems.
As far as oem ...?? Do you mean does it come melted amd goopy ? No its better.

Proline makes some pretty good stuff ,I've bought some seals and fuel line from them and no problems.
As far as oem ...?? Do you mean does it come melted amd goopy ? No its better.
LOL sounds good. I ordered 2 to try out.

For the time being the boot on my 450 was "OK" and since that saw needs all new lines and is apart...I borrowed the boot for my 550. The lines on the 550 are in OK condition and good enough for the time being. So...got to hear the saw run finally and when boots and lines get here ill rear it down and replace.

PXL_20210811_220644734.jpg

I just replaced the carb boot and lines on this 410. I agree that the quality of Homelite's rubber wasn't the best.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zzKt_w9CYjQ?feature=share
347aebc007e9ded495354cdd13aa16e2.jpg
bc52050e1c8edc6a7d330d8bb951f21a.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

Anyone use the proline intake boots for the 450/550? How are they compared to OEM?
Ditto on Proline being a decent quality aftermarket option. I've used Proline fuel lines for Homelites and they've seemed to be very nice quality with a very good fit. If anything like the fuel lines, I think you'll be surprised at the quality of the boots.

Latest posts

Back