Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome tip. I seriously considered breaking out the xacto knife and throng just that…, but was afraid I would compromise it and end up with another leak. What kind of wire would you use and how would it “grab” the outside of the grommet (to pull it into the tank)? I’m thinking of the fuel line puller tool that comes with small engine fuel lines, like this. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/lawn-mowers/lawn-mower-parts/7388184

I did use dish soap first, then oil, to try to coax it through. Not sure it would have ever worked without it.

I finally got to really run the saw today. Ran great. Sounds awesome. Here’s a picture of it rescuing my MS250.
View attachment 966787

Awesome tip. I seriously considered breaking out the xacto knife and throng just that…, but was afraid I would compromise it and end up with another leak. What kind of wire would you use and how would it “grab” the outside of the grommet (to pull it into the tank)? I’m thinking of the fuel line puller tool that comes with small engine fuel lines, like this. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/lawn-mowers/lawn-mower-parts/7388184

I did use dish soap first, then oil, to try to coax it through. Not sure it would have ever worked without it.

I finally got to really run the saw today. Ran great. Sounds awesome. Here’s a picture of it rescuing my MS250.
View attachment 966787
I pull the wire through the end of the fuel line that the filter will be installed. Kind of like a fish hook. The wire is pretty small. Not sure what gauge. Slightly thicker that picture wire I suppose. You’ll need to sacrifice the 1/4” of hose at the end since your putting a hole in it. Not ideal when using the molded lines but not the end of the world. I use tygon hose. It’s very easy to obtain and can be cut in any lengths needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
I pull the wire through the end of the fuel line that the filter will be installed. Kind of like a fish hook. The wire is pretty small. Not sure what gauge. Slightly thicker that picture wire I suppose. You’ll need to sacrifice the 1/4” of hose at the end since your putting a hole in it. Not ideal when using the molded lines but not the end of the world. I use tygon hose. It’s very easy to obtain and can be cut in any lengths needed.
Thanks. The old line I replaced was Tygon, as you could see in the pics above. Unfortunately since it didn’t have the molded “shoulder” on filter side, it allowed the filter material to slide upwards and pulled trash in the fuel line and carb. I think I could have made the taper on the molded line smaller. Here the line I used.
1645450626174.png

20220221_092505.jpg
Ok ,so I didn't know that the crank case would be open when I pulled the plate up? No big deal since I cleaned everything as best I could before hand.
The old seal was in pretty good shape but the bore it was in had a good bit of corrosion, I cleaned out all the corrosion out and used Yamabond 4 on the edge of the seal before installation. The o-ring surface is probably gonna get some sealant also.

View attachment 966923
Ok ,so I didn't know that the crank case would be open when I pulled the plate up? No big deal since I cleaned everything as best I could before hand.
The old seal was in pretty good shape but the bore it was in had a good bit of corrosion, I cleaned out all the corrosion out and used Yamabond 4 on the edge of the seal before installation. The o-ring surface is probably gonna get some sealant also.
Yes its the only way to pull the cylinder on that type of saw. The bottom end is open for inspection!

Good time to check out the main bearing while it’s open. Sometimes they are full of gunk or worn if the saw has been eating a lot of fines.

Yes its the only way to pull the cylinder on that type of saw. The bottom end is open for inspection!

Good time to check out the main bearing while it’s open. Sometimes they are full of gunk or worn if the saw has been eating a lot of fines.
Yeah I gave it a good flush and it feels good.

20220221_152111.jpg

The bearing is cleaner now.20220221_152056.jpgthis is the new seal ,you can see the sealant around it. 20220221_152024.jpg
One point of concern for me was this dark spot which was ever so slightly raised and the edge of the crank case. I think it was some sort of head sealant from when the saw was originally assembled. I picked it out.20220221_151946.jpg20220221_151954.jpg
The outer casing of the coil also had a huge hole blown out in it ! Which I used windshield silicone to seal up , the saw idled and ran fine before so I don't see a reason to replace it honestly since its just the plastic casing on the back side.

Ok ,so I got the VI944 back together, ( be proud Poge ,I put the points back in), and after all the details I still have a leak around the intake! Mmmmm frustrating, I replaced the original intate block and reed pyramid and cage with new nos , new gaskets also.
Do you guys use sealant at all on the intake?

Ok ,so I got the VI944 back together, ( be proud Poge ,I put the points back in), and after all the details I still have a leak around the intake! Mmmmm frustrating, I replaced the original intate block and reed pyramid and cage with new nos , new gaskets also.
Do you guys use sealant at all on the intake?
Nice! Gotta keep the points at all cost.

I use this stuff on base and intake gaskets. Seems to work ok. I don’t typically have leaks……

The three Reed screws can be a bit wonky sometimes.

Attachments

• 07E6B176-28CF-44B6-ABEB-C468D0C44092.jpeg
    07E6B176-28CF-44B6-ABEB-C468D0C44092.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Nice! Gotta keep the points at all cost.

I use this stuff on base and intake gaskets. Seems to work ok. I don’t typically have leaks……

The three Reed screws can be a bit wonky sometimes.
Thanks, I'll definitely be pulling it apart again.
I went ahead and already replaced the Phillips head screws with socket/allen screws with tiny lock washers16456631351411677201556847622063.jpg.

Howdy all I have a homelite 150. I’m just wondering what colours did they come in. I have seen blue and red online but mine is painted yellow. Just curious if it stock or not
I’ve been wrong a million times but I’m pretty sure that there was no Homelite that left the factory yellow. I’ve seen blue, red and green. Some of the rebranding saws were different colours though.
Possibly post a picture?

I couldn’t imagine lugging one of these bastards around through the woods, especially with a long bar and 1/2” chain.View attachment 962273
I haven't check in for a few weeks. I sent my 7-29 with 52" bar and helper handle to Australia a few years ago. As for lugging one around, I used to use a Super 1050 up trees, hanging on my belt, with a 36" bar. Still have it. It's the last of my Dad's 1050's. I wouldn't pay $275 for an XL 925, but I would probably take that for a nice one. I had a week moment and passed on a Super 1050 with 36" bar at a yard sale for $200. It was very nice, fired up on the second pull sounded great. Went home and had second thoughts. The only other person that was interested in was a 14 year old kid that offered him $180. I waited and the kid came back with his dad and cash. here's my only 1050 I have left. It has a 45" bar on it now. I was thinking of converting it to 1/2" chain because I have a friend that said he would cut me one loop for it. He won't sell any of the chain.
scejAEd.jpg

I bought a Super XL925 this weekend. My first Homelite. It looks to be in really nice condition. Leaks fuel when tilted to the right - I believe that's a line grommet through the tank, so will look into that and probably clean carb, replace filters, etc, before trying to tune. Runs decently now, but wasn't used much in the past 8 years the guy said. He said he ran it at least annually to keep it going.
Serial number starts with HO. I saw somewhere that means 1993? Does that sound right?
I haven't been around for a few weeks and was catching up, I think I just posted that I wouldn't pay what the guy in Rockville was asking. And I only live a few minutes away. If that's the saw from Rockville, don't take offense, it looks like a nice one. And I probably would take that for one of mine, but a year ago I wouldn't. I've been selling off some of my smaller saws. I used to only collect saws over 90CC's, then I dropped it to 70CC's, then to any good deal. Now I have so many I have a hard time walking through my garage. Good luck with that one.

I haven't been around for a few weeks and was catching up, I think I just posted that I wouldn't pay what the guy in Rockville was asking. And I only live a few minutes away. If that's the saw from Rockville, don't take offense, it looks like a nice one. And I probably would take that for one of mine, but a year ago I wouldn't. I've been selling off some of my smaller saws. I used to only collect saws over 90CC's, then I dropped it to 70CC's, then to any good deal. Now I have so many I have a hard time walking through my garage. Good luck with that one.
None take, Yes, that’s the same saw. Shows good compression, cylinder looks good. After cleaning carb it runs great. It’s been fun so far and had some really big logs recently to cut, was quite happy to have a “big” saw. I need a new 92dl chain.

Back