Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back about a month ago I picked up an XL-102 for what I thought was a decent price - $57.I got the saw & went through it briefly & didn't really have much hope for it.When I pulled it over the rings were so dry on the cylinder that it squealed.I quickly shot penetrating fluid into the cylinder & pulled it over & then shopt more into it.It quieted down considerably & later on I gave it a shot of fuel & pulled it over & it fired! I was amazed it even had spark.The fuel tank was another story,the fuel line had turned to black goo & dissolved in the fuel & left a residue all over the inside of the tank.I have a friend who suggested using Goof Off graffiti remover.I ordered a gal.on Home Depot.com & put about a cup of it in the tank & swished it around.The tank was like new in a matter of minutes.Next I pulled the carb for a rebuild & installed new grommets & a fuel line.I put the rebuilt carb in along with some fuel & had the saw running albeit briefly.The condenser decided to crap out on me.Off to eBay to buy a new condenser (not generally what I do as the condensers are generally unreliable there).I got 2 condensers for $3.00 each.One week later I got the condensers & I installed one,but I also pulled the points out to have a look & a good thing I did.The points were so pitted from the condenser breaking down that I had to put in a good used set I just happened to have on hand. I had to put a new coil wire in too because the boot & spring just pulled off along with a section of the insulation.All I had to do now was re-gap the coil & the saw would be good to go,or so I thought.I pulled it over & got nothing.I checked for spark & had one faint spark.I was suspicious that the switch was bad,but I pulled the flywheel off again & found the condenser screws were loose.
I tightened them down & checked for spark & had intermittent spark.I toggled the switch a couple of times & had good spark.I put the plug back in & ity fired right up & ran nicely.I shut it off & restarted it without a problem.I went to get a bar & chain & put them on & went to restart it again & got nothing.I pulled the recoil off & disdconnected the switch wire & wrapped the end of it with electrical tape so it wouldn't ground out & the saw started right up! I've got a new switch on the way.There were a lot of electrical issues with this saw & it was tough to sort them all out,but it's a nice running saw.

I've gotten to the point on these old saws to leave no stone unturned and treat them all as rebuilds. Spend too much time chasing your tail.

I bought a Homelite XL103 at a yard sale last week, looks the same but it’s red . Have not had a chance to look at it , but compression felt good . Figured for $10 , I’d take a chance.

Here we have a 1998 PS33. brand new
6fc6891e55357d46407dac3acf2b473e.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Hi Acornhill. I have been on this site for awhile now & I have been searching for info & a repair manual for a Homlite I was just given, but cannot seem to find much of anything useful about it & I just found a link to this posting by you from another web page with Homelite Images on it. I have posted here before & got an IPL from Ray Benson on here, but can't find much else. My Model does not seem to exist anyplace I have been to, but looks IDENTICAL to this PS33 you have posted here. Does your 33 have a chain brake, or is this a FIXED hand guard? Mine is Factory Labeled as a Z3300 and a UT 10809. Not sure right now if it has a 16 or 18" bar & chain on it, but except for the nose guard on your blade and the label number on your PS33, it does look IDENTICAL to my Z3300 & mine has the fixed hand guard NOT a working chain brake. Hoping you can help me out here a bit. I have posted here twice already: https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/homelite-service-and-ipl-manuals.361714/ & https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/still-looking-for-info-for-a-1998-z3300-ut-10809.361797/ I just now got a notification of a reply to my second posting here. Thanks in advance.

Update: I did get a reply in regards to an explanation of deciphering the Homelite Serial Numbers. Fairly Interesting & thought I would share it.

Attachments

• Homelite S N Explanation.jpg
    Homelite S N Explanation.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi Acornhill. I have been on this site for awhile now & I have been searching for info & a repair manual for a Homlite I was just given, but cannot seem to find much of anything useful about it & I just found a link to this posting by you from another web page with Homelite Images on it. I have posted here before & got an IPL from Ray Benson on here, but can't find much else. My Model does not seem to exist anyplace I have been to, but looks IDENTICAL to this PS33 you have posted here. Does your 33 have a chain brake, or is this a FIXED hand guard? Mine is Factory Labeled as a Z3300 and a UT 10809. Not sure right now if it has a 16 or 18" bar & chain on it, but except for the nose guard on your blade and the label number on your PS33, it does look IDENTICAL to my Z3300 & mine has the fixed hand guard NOT a working chain brake. Hoping you can help me out here a bit. I have posted here twice already: https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/homelite-service-and-ipl-manuals.361714/ & https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/still-looking-for-info-for-a-1998-z3300-ut-10809.361797/ I just now got a notification of a reply to my second posting here. Thanks in advance.
The PS33 and Z3300 are both in this manual, it's the only service manual I have seen for the saws.

Attachments

• 42-DIFFERENT chainsaws models.pdf
    11.3 MB · Views: 3
Greetings Homelite guys, I need some help.

I've seen a few posts on removing the brass inserts on the other caps, but I'm stumped on how I can remove these ones. Usually the brass is right where you can hook and grab it, but not these. They're set in way too far and I can't get an angle to grab them. Any ideas?

Thanks.
M

Homelite Caps.jpg

I've seen a few posts on removing the brass inserts on the other caps, but I'm stumped on how I can remove these ones. Usually the brass is right where you can hook and grab it, but not these. They're set in way too far and I can't get an angle to grab them. Any ideas?

Thanks.
M

View attachment 1011600
I use a sharp pick inserted in the small notch on the lower part of the caps and pry them out . Be in a clean work area because sometimes
they shoot out !
Charles

Thanks.
M

View attachment 1011600

I assume you're talking about the sintered brass filters over duckbill vents for fuel caps and the tanks. Sometimes all you can do is drill a small hole in brass and pry/pick/screw them out that way.

If you can't find a replacement clutch drum for your homelite XL1, xl76 or other homelite that uses a similar 2-7/8 in OD clutch drum, the one from a Husqvarna 50 to 55 will work. You will have to modify the shaft sleeve that usually comes on the Homelites to run the Husqvarna half inch bearing. A lathe will be needed to turn down the outside to fit It.
Dimensions are almost identical between the drums, the Husqvarna one may have a shoulder on the inside like the one pictured here, and you will have to run a slightly thinner spacer washer.
You can see how close they are in the pictures. The S style clutch is placed in the Husqvarna drum.

IMG_20220821_194200.jpg
IMG_20220821_194041.jpgIMG_20220821_194103.jpgIMG_20220821_194328.jpgIMG_20220821_194542.jpg

Update: Just did this conversion on my xl-76 using a drum from a 50 Husqvarna. I could not use the old shaft sleeve as it was too hard for the lathe bits. Made up another one out of tool steel. The clutch engages perfectly, and the chain transit is very smooth with the new 3/8 rim sprocket insert. It would probably be easiest to make a shaft adapter out of 1/2" thin wall steel tubing, the dimensions both inside and out are very close to what you need and would require very little turning down.

For anyone who's interested,or in need of parts,I just bought a pick up truckload of Homelite saw,trimmer,generator,& water pump parts from Bob Johnson last Sat.(8/13).It'll probably take me the better part of the winter to inventory them properly as half of the boxes they're in (35 boxes) aren't numbered & the parts aren't in numerical order.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to remove them.
I drilled a small hole, bent the pick and still it wouldn't budge. I ended up butchering the brass.
At this point, I think I'll just end up destroying the whole cap trying to remove the sintered inserts.

I think I'll put this one on the back burner for now, and come back to it a bit later.
Thanks for the ideas guys. :)

M

Thanks for the suggestions.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to remove them.
I drilled a small hole, bent the pick and still it wouldn't budge. I ended up butchering the brass.
At this point, I think I'll just end up destroying the whole cap trying to remove the sintered inserts.

I think I'll put this one on the back burner for now, and come back to it a bit later.
Thanks for the ideas guys. :)

M

Maybe you can wind in a small screw, pull it that way.

I thought the same thing about using some kind of lubricant, and it still didn't work. Maybe I'll try the screw method and see what happens.

If I can't make any progress, I'll go back to the older caps. I just liked these caps a bit better than the older ones since they were easier to grab.
But I will keep a look out for another cap.

Thanks guys.
M

Latest posts

Back