Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those 'blue coil' electronic ignitions (on certain Homelites and Pioneers) have been known to even die while the saw is sitting on the shelf (as in they worked fine when 'parked', but don't fire the next time the saw is put to use). They're notoriously fickle...:censored:

I thought I'd heard that before, probably read it here or on the McCulloch thread.
Bit of good news, finally got that Super 2 going, actually an XL with a Super 2 motor in it. Turned out it had points and they were dirty. Believe it or not but it's getting too much oil to the bar. I opened the cap after running it awhile and it sounded like opening a bottle of Coke. I noticed it when I let it sit and oil was still coming out the bottom. I probably ought to replace the ball point pen refill with that little bronze thingy. Or I suppose I could drill a very small hole in the oil cap. It looks impressive seeing all that oil on the bar though..

I thought I'd heard that before, probably read it here or on the McCulloch thread.
Bit of good news, finally got that Super 2 going, actually an XL with a Super 2 motor in it. Turned out it had points and they were dirty. Believe it or not but it's getting too much oil to the bar. I opened the cap after running it awhile and it sounded like opening a bottle of Coke. I noticed it when I let it sit and oil was still coming out the bottom. I probably ought to replace the ball point pen refill with that little bronze thingy. Or I suppose I could drill a very small hole in the oil cap. It looks impressive seeing all that oil on the bar though..

That's good to hear Joe. The bronze thingee will indeed bleed some pressure off and lessen the oil flow. That'd have to be one SMALL hole drilled in the cap to not bleed too much pressure off. The early XL2 that keeps returning to my bench has the diapragm oiler pump. I used a piece of brass tube in the oil tank crankcase pressure line (bronze thingee was AWOL), and it still just barely oils enough for the 12" bar.

I can see why they did away with the pump on later saws (the SM even lists the serial # for the change). Of course the saw did have leaking crank seals.....so the impulse to the pump may have been weak. Was no shortage of pressure in the tank however. Does the 'coke bottle' thing, even after only a few seconds of running. Once the replacement crank bearing comes in (don't wanna talk about it), I'll have that damn thing back together and OUT of my shop for good. If it returns I'm going to tell the owner to get a Poulan Micro.

Those XL2/S2 saws reproduce like the mini-macs. I somehow now have TWO of the damn things of my own here in addition to the cursed saw that I've been working on. Latest saw is MINT on the outside. Probably just needs the usual lines/duckbills replacement and carb kit (and maybe crank seals). Came to me in an unusual rectangular carry case with room for a quart of bar oil and a can of 40-Fuel. Will be a good 'just in case' saw to keep in the truck. May put a Micro in that case instead however.:D

My friend gave me an XL when I refurbed his Lombard last spring. I put a new duckbill in the oil tank, sharpened the chain and run the pee out of him since. No problems.:rock:

I have a two trigger Super 2 but it needs a crank. The drum bearing ate it.

My friend gave me an XL when I refurbed his Lombard last spring. I put a new duckbill in the oil tank, sharpened the chain and run the pee out of him since. No problems.:rock:

I have a two trigger Super 2 but it needs a crank. The drum bearing ate it.

That's not surprising. The loose roller bearing setup in those clutches doesn't encourage maintenance. The SM tells us to make a paper tube to slide the clutch drum and bearing onto to retain the TINY rollers (and states that if the rollers come out that you'll NEVER get 'em all back in there). I wrapped some electrical tape around an Allen wrench to do that job. Works fine as a pilot/bearing retainer........but I haven't figured out how to get any grease into that bearing.

Also..........the saw I'm working on is an EARLY one with the terrible little snap ring. That ####er took an hour (and a couple stabs in the hand) to get off. Nothing to grab with snap ring pliers or a pick. Later rings (updated part number) have the usual two little holes for the snap ring pliers. Later saws have a threaded crank for a nut (what a novel idea) instead of the snap ring. The SM also tells us to NEVER reuse the snap ring. I'm in compliance here, as the damn thing went "Ping!!!" and disappeared for parts unknown. A regular snap ring will go in its place...

Does the 'coke bottle' thing, even after only a few seconds of running. Once the replacement crank bearing comes in (don't wanna talk about it), I'll have that damn thing back together and OUT of my shop for good. If it returns I'm going to tell the owner to get a Poulan Micro.

Those XL2/S2 saws reproduce like the mini-macs. I somehow now have TWO of the damn things of my own here in addition to the cursed saw that I've been working on. Latest saw is MINT on the outside. Probably just needs the usual lines/duckbills replacement and carb kit (and maybe crank seals). Came to me in an unusual rectangular carry case with room for a quart of bar oil and a can of 40-Fuel. Will be a good 'just in case' saw to keep in the truck. May put a Micro in that case instead however.:D

The SM also tells us to NEVER reuse the snap ring. I'm in compliance here, as the damn thing went "Ping!!!" and disappeared for parts unknown. A regular snap ring will go in its place...

Had a little run of bad luck, have we? :jester:

Most of the Homies

Here are the runners. What's missing is a 54 (solo), a 300 (solo) and a red XLAO. I do have a 22" bar and chain for the XL923. At this point the XL76 is my favorite of the mid sized ones. I haven't run the 923 much more than just firing it up. I really like the little EZ type saws they are a pleasure to run even without AV. All of mine have 3/8s chain but it would be interesting to try them with .325 or even a lopro 3/8th for even more smoothness.

I didn't set out to collect Homies but these things just happen I guess once the CAD kicks in!!

Enjoy!!

Lee :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

I really don't mind working on the little homies or micros since I've done so many but I still detest the mini-macs. I just never had any luck with them. I'm working up my nerve (and my money) to start on the EZs again. I may fix one up and maybe sell the other one for parts, they both look alike, maybe I'll keep the one I had running for a brief while..

Here are the runners. What's missing is a 54 (solo), a 300 (solo) and a red XLAO. I do have a 22" bar and chain for the XL923. At this point the XL76 is my favorite of the mid sized ones. I haven't run the 923 much more than just firing it up. I really like the little EZ type saws they are a pleasure to run even without AV. All of mine have 3/8s chain but it would be interesting to try them with .325 or even a lopro 3/8th for even more smoothness.

I didn't set out to collect Homies but these things just happen I guess once the CAD kicks in!!

Enjoy!!

Well, i quickly put a stop to my collecting Homies 4 nightmares is enough for this old fella

McBob.

Enjoy!!

Lee,

You've got to get that 923 going and put it to wood. It's by far the most powerful saw you've got and I think you'll be surprised just how strong they are.

My father dropped this off today.
I got no idea what it is.. Any help?
290952d1366241541-uploadfromtaptalk1366241538803-jpg

Its a Zip. Should say it right there on the tag.

Model Profile: ZIP, ZIP-MODIFIED

Its a Zip. Should say it right there on the tag.

Model Profile: ZIP, ZIP-MODIFIED

Yep, I own a Zip and it looks just like that. Yours is missing a couple of parts however. One shield goes over the carburetor and another one goes over the top of the cylinder. There is also supposed to be a tube going from the carb to the air filter.

Last edited:
Back