Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a gear drive saw ( notice how the bar is mounted offset). It will not freewheel because it's a gear drive.

How many guys put their"like" on this post? Those who did, go slap yourself now.

That big gear drive Homelite should not turn the chain over when pulling the starter rope. You guys actually believer it is suppose to?

The saw most definatly has a clutch problem...

How many guys put their"like" on this post? Those who did, go slap yourself now.

That big gear drive Homelite should not turn the chain over when pulling the starter rope. You guys actually believer it is suppose to?

OK :dumb2: The geardrives do not freewheel anything like a direct drive. (even without a clutch problem) (especially a 3 to 1 geared saw) My definition of freewheeling is pulling the chain by hand. But since the OP never posted back.......

OK :dumb2: The geardrives do not freewheel anything like a direct drive. (even without a clutch problem) (especially a 3 to 1 geared saw) My definition of freewheeling is pulling the chain by hand. But since the OP never posted back.......

Your definition has nothing to do with answering the posters question and still isn't completely correct.

My issue was with all the others who thought you answered correctly.

My issue was with all the others who thought you answered correctly.
Not sure why folks who threw a like should be under scrutiny???? Is it really worth posting up multiple times about it?

I was one of the guys who liked the post. In full disclosure I know almost zero about gear drive saws and threw a like to the guy because he answered several questions at once. I didn't know we were supposed to verify all information before we were allowed to like a comment...... FWIW some folks like every post in a thread.

The XL98 is a superXL925 with a XL98 starter. A XL98 is a cutoff saw but many parts are interchangeable between the two.

The last one looks like a Homelite 1130g or a 3100g. Any tag on the saw? It's a gear drive saw ( notice how the bar is mounted offset). It will not freewheel because it's a gear drive.

You shouldn't use ether on 2 stroke engines. Use fuel mix only.
Thats a 3100!!! Wow, that's worth more than the rest of the saws all together. The muffler cover is the give away. 1130g's have a different muffler cover. Way to go man :numberone:. If you wanna sell it someday, I'd like dibbs.

Hey all new to the site. I have a newer small Stihl saw and was looking for a larger saw to handle cutting some trees on my property that have been killed by the ash boring beetle. I ended up finding a package of 4 Homlite saws on my local Craigslist. I bought a 750 with a 36"bar, a super xl 925 with a 30" homelite bar, and a xl 98c with 30" bar that says xl98 c on the left side cover, but super xl 925 on the gas tank so I'm not sure what it is for sure.

View attachment 534057
View attachment 534058
The last one is I cannot tell the model, it is a bit t larger than the 750, and has a 53"bar with a helper handle. Plus it seems like there is either no clutch, or there is something wrong because the chain will not free wheel and turns with the engine when you pull it over. I'm not sure if it has been painted, or what. Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 534059 View attachment 534060 View attachment 534061 View attachment 534062

They were run in the last year and the owner had passed away. The xl 98 fires right up, the 750 and other big one need a carb cleaning. I have not done compression checks yet, but they feel and sound good and all run with a small shot of either.
The gear drive is a 3100, Way to go man!!!

I guess I confused gear drive with it being direct drive off the engine with no clutch. I have not yet had a chance to clean the carb and get it running. At this point it either has a clutch problem because the chain moves anytime the crank does (and vise versa), or was it maybe a thing to make it direct drive because of the 53" bar?? It is something I'll have to check out. Thanks for all the input guys.

I guess I confused gear drive with it being direct drive off the engine with no clutch. I have not yet had a chance to clean the carb and get it running. At this point it either has a clutch problem because the chain moves anytime the crank does (and vise versa), or was it maybe a thing to make it direct drive because of the 53" bar?? It is something I'll have to check out. Thanks for all the input guys.
Its likely just stuck clutch shoes from sitting so long. But no, no way should the chain move when the rope is pulled. I've had some free up when run that way and others needed work to some degree or another. You can start it with no bring and chain and you will not hurt it a bit. I did on my 3100 and had it in my lap like a baby, revving it with extreme pleasure.

Latest posts

Back