Homelite ez will not start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mead338

Reaction score
Have a old homelight super ez that was my fathers, that I can not get it to start. Have good spark, it's getting fuel. Could use some ideals. Thanks Mead

ez

Real good. Seems like everything is in good shape with real good spark, I'm at a loss with this one.

Hi mead, welcome to AS.

How do you know that it is getting fuel? Is it getting air also? Has anything happened that would affect spark timing like a partial shear of the flywheel key? It`s also possible that the plug won`t fire under compression, have you tried another?

I don`t know jack about Homelites specifically so maybe someone else will step in.

Russ

Hi Mead,

I have a Super EZ & it is one of my favorite saws for cutting firewood. A popular small saw during it's day.

Suggest you get a new sparkplug - either a Champion RDJ6J or an Autolite SE2954 (common at most hardware stores).

If you try pull starting the saw twice with the choke pulled all the way out & 3 more times with the choke pushed 1/2 way in, to half choke position, and it doesn't start, check the plug. It should be very wet.

If it's not, try unscrewing the fuel cap slightly to help the tank vent & try starting again.

E-mail me & I can provide some basic info out of the original owners manual.

Good Luck,
Shooter

ez

Thanks for help everyone, new plug and a little cleaning and I got it to run.
Mead338

High vibration, low power, slow speed, lack of good parts availability; why in the world would you want make one of those run? The next thing you will want to do with it is to try to cut wood. Let it rest in peace.

So were McCullochs, and there wasn't anything cool about them either.

I don't wanna make war, just trying to have little fun with you guys.

Preserving the chainsaw worlds engineering mistakes is just not one of my passions.

Originally posted by Tony Snyder

Preserving the chainsaw worlds engineering mistakes is just not one of my passions. [/B]

I was always under the impression that the SEZ was one of the best saws Homelite ever built ??

Or, are you just trying to get us riled up ??

The Super EZ is one of the great small saws from years past.

Maybe Tony's just got an arthropod lodged up there today. :)

Tony, you're just trying to bait the Homelite fans at AS & we are tripping over each other trying to snatch the cheese from the trap!

I like running a SEZ because the position of the handlebar & throttlegrip feel comfortable to me. It has good balance for a small saw. Plus it has a manual oiler, a compression release, & a real toggle on/off switch for those of us that like to play with the old style controls.

And it is red (or blue), a nice change of pace from all the orange.

But you are certainly correct, as today's saws can't be beat for light weight, low vibration, filtration, easy starting & low maintenance.

Homelite lost it in the 1980's and wasn't alone as the American auto industry got beat up by the Japanese & Germans. But, for whatever reason, the company never made a commitment to new designs & manufacturing methods.

The net result is Homelite has a storied past, but no longer is a serious player in the chainsaw marketplace.

Thanks,
Mike

John,

Are there other symptoms associated with the condition you suggest? Is it contagious, or is it more like an accident? Could other AS members have it?

I do get spells of both anger and depression when people try to leave Homelites, McCullochs, Weedeaters, or Craftsmans to be worked on.

I also have these nightmares where I have been put in prison, and that they learned I was a chainsaw man, and they gave me this big room full of old Homelites to work on and told me that, when I had every one of them running good, I could get out. (no new parts of course)

Since someone else brought this thread back up knocking the old super ez, I will post a few pics of some sez and super II project saws that I just picked up. Last one actually works. :)

Hey guys, newbie here. Really enjoy the forum, for the most part, and have learned tons of info already, but everytime I see one of you run down anothers brand of saw I cringe.

As an auto mechanic I too have to work on all brands, often grudgingly, but never with malice no matter the make... particularly after this one incidence in the shop one day many years ago.

When Datsun first came out with a front wheel drive car, the F10, mechanics hated them. They weren't that bad of a car, mostly just different. One day this cute girl brought hers in, we fixed it up, and when she came to pick it up the boss (that's double S O B spelled backwards) made a derogatory comment about her car.

She burst out in anger, saying she was sick of mechanics running down her car. It had been a good car, and most importantly, she LIKED it!.

Man, I felt lower than a snake's belly even though I wasn't the one that set her off. From then on I made it a point to never put down a person's car no matter how bad it is. THEY might actually LIKE it!

p38lighning said:
Well dont work on them, no one will twist your arm. I imagine you have a swaztika saw. :p

It actually is SWASTIKA.

I have never run one of these EZ Homies, but they must have been a good popular saw in it's day. I have been picking them up in our area for parts it is amazing how many of them are out there. Hopefully I will get a few to run out of the small pile I have been accumulating. They look and feel like nice little saws.

Seems there are three colors, blue, regular Homie red, and one that is like, hate to say this but a pinkish color, even the handle matches the color of this saw.

Is there a difference between the EZ's and a XL-1, they are almost identical saws to me, is it just the letters that are different.

I am not a Homelite guy, but am trying to learn a little because I used to have Homelite saws for our tree biz.

Larry

I believe the super EZ had a larger piston than the EZ. Blue/white model came first, then the red/white then the super all red. Not sure where the XL-1 falls in there but they are very similiar. Nice saws, but they will vibrate the he&& out of your hands after extended use. Homelite answer to anti-vibe at the time was a rubber wrap at the trigger and a rubber wrap top handle.

Latest posts

Back