Homelite Info needed:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis,

I hate to keep asking for questions but do you have the UT number on it. I am sure the IPL is here but I cannot find a listing by the model number you provided. It may be there is no UT number but if you have it I can chase it that way.

Thanks,
Bill

Homelite Generator Set:

Ha, thanks for the quick replies. eyolf I'll check out the site you mention tomorrow, it's late and my bed is also calling me. As Bill G said great find. Thanks. Lewis.

Bill G. No there's no UT number on that generator. The thing is as old or maybe older than me. When did they start using UT numbers? Have never been able to figure them out when looking up some parts for these old saws. Take care. Lewis.

osflea, I think you could be right in your comment or the thing could have been made went Moby **** was a minnow. Who knows. Just hoping to find some info on this generator set. I believe she is complete. The fuel system was all plugged up with varnish, but have gone through it and completely cleaned it. Everyting looks like it's there, but just have to figure out how it is supposed to work. Have never seen or worked on anything like it. OK, Take care. Lewis.

I have 1975 Homelite shop service manual that has similar engines in it. General purpose engines used on pumps, generators. Engine models 8,9,20,23,24,35,36. Tiilotson MD, or MT float type carb, or Homelite carburators used. From the pictures that appears to be the Homelite carb. Recommended adjustment 1 1/2 turns open, says it operates by pressurizing fuel tank.

Hi Lewis,
On some old Homelite pumps and generators the first number is the engine model number. 24a115-2 would be a model 24 engine- 11.5 cu. in., uses Champion HO-8A or UJ-11-G plug. J6J or J6 plugs can be substituted but are more susceptible to fouling. Gap is 0.025". It does look like the Homelite carb. Can't find much else.
Ray

Thanks for the replies:

Thanks guys for the replies.

John L. If you want to send me the manuel, I would appreciate it. I see on the site that eyolf suggested that the fuel systems were pressurized on some of those old generators. Interesting consept, sound dangerous to me. There is a set of 3 tubes that go into the gas tank and where they go into the carb is a 4th hole (about 3/8"). Doesn't look like the tank could be pressurized with that size hole in the bottom ot the carb. But who knows there could be a 4th tube missing. Haven't looked at the fuel system much lately, been working on my saws, but they're getting caught up, so will be looking to work on the generator soon. Thanks for any info you can send me. It's greatly appreciated. Would it be easier to put it in PDF format and email itas a file? I've done this to all my chainsaw info, so that I can email it to others. Just a thought. Take care. Lewis.

Hi Ray. Thanks for the info. I'll copy it down. I believe she has a J 8 J plug in it now, but will check it. Not sure if the tag on the generator says what plug to ues. As far as I can tell it is a Homelite carb. There's no markings on it such as Tillotson, etc. It doesn't look like any other carb I've seen. Got a couple other saws to get running, but will soon be looking to start on the generator. Thanks for your help. Take care. Lewis.

Homelite generator info:

Hello to all. eyolf, I checked out somkestak.com and have contacted some people there that may have info (manusil/IPL's) on this generator set or one with similar engine. Want to thank you for the lead on that website. Lewis Brander.

I was recently reading an old chainsaw book with some really interesing history on the industry, and I never knew until I read it that Homelite got started making and selling small generators to rural folks that the electric co-ops hadn't run wiring to yet, back before WWII. Hence the name "Home-Lite". They later switched over to saws when the generator business was falling off and the saw business was really starting up. I've been in the business a good many years and have never seen a Homelite generator. I still have my old BLUE XL-12, rebuilt about 20 years ago and still runs good. Never cared for the red ones.

Stihl#1

Thanks for the brief history of Homelite's name. actually, that seems very logical that they started out making generators for people who hadnt had electric lines run through their land to power the house.

Why do you not care for the red XL12s?

Hello Stihl #1:

Hello Stihl #1. Suprized with your handle that you would even consider owning a Homelite. Over the years I've seen several old generators at farm shows, fairs, etc. This is the first Homelite generator set I've ssen. She should be fun to run, once I get her to pick up her fuel. I think I've found the problem and will work on her a bit tomorrow to see if I have her figured out. Then I'll have to get out my multimeter or a couple 2 prong twist plugs and see if the old girl make any electricity. I've had the covers off the generator and brushes, bearings and wiring look great. It also has a Knob you turn to regulate output voltage. No volt meter, no ampmeter, you must have had to plug in a light and adjust the knob so that the lights were of proper brightness. OK, everyone take care. Lewis.

When I was in the repair business in OK back in the mid '80s, it always seemed that the later model red XL's just didn't hold up as well as the earlier model blue ones. Can't say for sure why, unless they just cheapened them up or something.

Hey Lewis,
Well just because I prefer Stihl doesn't mean they are the only saw out there. My XL 12 is kind of sentimental I guess. I built it out of three ruined ones I accumulated, owner's not taking care of them, 1 was bent by a tree, and with a new piston, rings, seals and all, it turned out really fine. I ended up with a 16", 20", 24", 30" bars, and a pruning bow for it, so it has been fun to cut with it. But all the rest of my saws are Stihl.

Saws and Generator:

Stihl #1. I have a bunch of old saws and only 1 O8S Stihl. The Stihl and old Disston, D0-101 have the most sentimental connection for me. But each one has there own story. The Stihl is the last saw my father had bought and it ended up at my brother's place after he died and he gave it to me to go through and restore. The Disston belonged to an old friend, who was like a 2nd grandfather to me. He gave me the saw and wanted me to get it running when I had time. Well, he died about 10 years ago and I finally got her running. Sort of makes a fella feel good.

To everyone concerned. I finally figured out the carb on that old Homelite Generator. SHE IS NOW RUNNING. She also is putting out voltage, the reostat works and she was adjusted for 115 volts output. Plugged in some lights and they worked and she even operated an old Montgomery Wards drill that I own.

Hi Ray Benon, That carb adjustment you provided works fine. I filled the tank 1/2 full to start with and that setting works fine. When the tank reached near empty she started to spit and sputter a bit. When I refilled the tank, I shee that she seems to run a bit rich, but as the tank fuel level drops she smooth out. Law of averages. When the tank is full I could close the needlevalve 1/4 turn and when the tank is near empty I could open it about a 1/4 turn. So looks like 1 1/2 turns is a good average. I mixed up a batch of 32/1 fuel and she seems to run just fine on that instead of the 10/1 they call for. Even at 16/1 she doesn't smoke very much with the MX2T oil. I'm surprised at how well she runs. Smooth and quite. She doenn't make as much noise as my Generack. Well, cleaned her up a bit more tonight and she's looking a bit better. Would be nice to get some original Canyon Green paint and repaint or give her a bit of touching up. Will have to see about color matching some paint. OK, Talk later. Everyone take care. Lewis Brander.

Last edited:
Back