homelite pro...burnt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tz666

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a homelite pro with a 20" bar, i think its like 46cc. Im kinda a newbie so Im going to screw this all up but it started smoking around the sprocket that turns the chain. Is that maybe a clutch in there or something? I set it down and went and bought a MS390 at the local dealer and havent looked back. Now Im wondering about this little homelite. It starts and runs good, it just wasnt enough saw for all of the trees gustav left me. Behind the sprocket that turns the chain there is a wheel and that is where the smoke was comming from. Is this something that is easily/cheap fix, or is this not enough info to make a judgement. Figured that someone else had this problem and may have an idea.
thanks
Travis

not sure...

the chain brake could have been prtially on when all thid happened. I took the bar off and saw where the smoke was comming from and shut it down and bought the stihl. I am deciding what to do with the old one now and havent really inspected it. I will look at it after work and try and figure something out. Sprocket does turn.
thanks will post later

Clutches fried by overworking the saw probably, or the brake was on/partially on while working the saw. Either way, an inspection is due.:chainsaw:

I got one of those last week, 46cc Homelite Timberman. Guy said it was seized, and it was..The brake was stuck on, and they got it so hot the case melted behind the clutch, and the plastic stuck to the clutch. I knocked the plastic off with a chisel and it starts and runs about as good as one of those saws is going to...

I will say this, for your own good, you may consider hanging around your local dealers for a while...try and pickup some of the basics, because...

1. That saw is powerful, and dangerous if you dont know how to handle it properly.

2. That saw is remarkably expensive to repair when you break it.

That wheel under the cover is indeed a centrifugal clutch, your stihl has one too, dont abuse it. Smoke it once and its never the same again.

Be safe and enjoy.

I got one of those last week, 46cc Homelite Timberman. Guy said it was seized, and it was..The brake was stuck on, and they got it so hot the case melted behind the clutch, and the plastic stuck to the clutch. I knocked the plastic off with a chisel and it starts and runs about as good as one of those saws is going to...

I will say this, for your own good, you may consider hanging around your local dealers for a while...try and pickup some of the basics, because...

1. That saw is powerful, and dangerous if you dont know how to handle it properly.

2. That saw is remarkably expensive to repair when you break it.

That wheel under the cover is indeed a centrifugal clutch, your stihl has one too, dont abuse it. Smoke it once and its never the same again.

Be safe and enjoy.
"runs as good as one of those saws is going to"
Red, is that good ,or bad?? The world is waiting..

Last edited:
yut

i would rather use an older homelite than the new ones nowadays

"runs as good as one of those saws is going to"
Red, is that good ,or bad?? The world is waiting..

18" bar, its not terrible...20" bar, less impressive than a worn Wild Thing.

Mine works okay, I mean, its a loaner saw, if it gets run over, no great loss...they do seem to start easily though, but arent torque monsters by any strecgh of the imagination.

The smaller version, the Bandit or whatever it is called now, seems to be much nicer and is comfortable with a 14" bar. Pretty light too.

If the timberman was the only saw I had, it would be okay for me...but knowing that there is anti-vibe out there that doesnt deflect 2", and saws of the same engine size, same bar size that rev quickly and with authority...It wouldnt be my go to saw obviously.

For free, its a good saw for limbing. Im thinking of putting a 16" bar on mine...maybe evan a 14" bar...

I have one of these. 46cc 18" homelite. Have been using it for a few years and it runs well. And it does start fairly easily. Probably be better with a smaller bar though.

Back