Homelite Super 2 Bar Chain Oiling Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have rebuilt a Super 2 saw ( Serial # UT-10617A, Parts List # 24983 Rev 2, saw mfg. 5/4/1983) and had everything repaired except getting oil to the bar. After many hours or investigating forums and literature, I finally got a fairly good idea of the entire process and the differences in the two major oil distribution designs by Homelite for the Super 2. I have replaced the three oil lines (I have the 3 line version), the oil pump plunger and gaskets, the oil filter, duck bill check valve and cleaned out the best I could the crankcase chambers along with the check ball valve and spring that is located in the oil pump body. The oil lines are correct and I can get oil coming out the hole leading to the bar. (I have good air pressure coming out of the crankcase hole leading into the oil pump and have no pressure leakage in the oil container - cap fits tight.) My question is this: is there any way to know if a saw is producing the correct amount of oil to the bar. For some reason, I remember my old Super 2 producing more oil. When I would run the old saw at full speed, and aim it at say a piece of cardboard or wood, I could make a line of oil spray quite clearly from several inches away. Also, when I ran out of gas on the old Super 2 I was just about out of oil. When I tried that with my present saw I could see no oil and thought I wasn't getting any at all. But if I moved the tip of the bar to just about touching the piece of cardboard I saw a small spray and buildup of oil. And when I ran out of gas on this newer saw, I had over 3/4 of a tank of oil left. When I shut the saw off and checked the bar, I could feel oil on the links. Is this enough to do the oiling job and was my older saw just putting out too much and wasting oil? And is there a way to regulate the oil flow? I could not find anything in my owners manual about that. I have a Super XL auto oilier with a manual pump so I can add oil when I need to for that saw. I saw some information regarding different springs for the oil pump to regulate the amount of oil on the Homelite 330 model. I wonder if the Super 2 models had a spring set like that - but I didn't run across anything about that anywhere. So that is my question or maybe I should say questions. Any help would be appreciated.

On some of these there is a reducer in the oil pickup/strainer which sits where the hose attaches to the pickup/strainer. Kinda looks like half a pop rivet. You can remove it for more flow. Also, if your saw has the pump style oiler over the pressurized tank type, make sure that tank is venting.

To control how much oil it puts out, you have to pull the duckbill in a little, or out a little on the rod that it sits on. And to check to see how much it is really oiling, just take the bar and chain off and rev it a few times. If it squirts out any oil it should be fine. If it is oiling a little and you don't feel comfortable with it , then mess with the duckbill. Some of those saws oiled more that others like you said.

Last edited:
And BTW the 330's oil pump system sucks. Barley puts out any oil for a 16in bar let alone most of the 330s came with 20 or 24in bars.

To control how much oil it puts out, you have to pull the duckbill in a little, or out a little on the rod that it sits on. And to check to see how much it is really oiling, just take the bar and chain off and rev it a few times. If it squirts out any oil it should be fine. If it is oiling a little and you don't feel comfortable with it , then mess with the duckbill. Some of those saws oiled more that others like you said.

ChainLightning,
I do remember seeing that somewhere about the duckbill placement on the connector rod. I do have it set for maximum flow. Before putting on the bar & chain I did run the saw to see if oil came out the hole that went to the bar and it seemed to me to be a nice amount of oil. When I did run 2 tanks of gas in the saw there appeared to be no issues with the chain. And as I said when I checked the links I could feel them being oily. I may be making an issue here where there is none. Thanks for you comments.
Rich

Last edited:
On some of these there is a reducer in the oil pickup/strainer which sits where the hose attaches to the pickup/strainer. Kinda looks like half a pop rivet. You can remove it for more flow. Also, if your saw has the pump style oiler over the pressurized tank type, make sure that tank is venting.

Bob,
I will check to see about that reducer but if memory serves me, when I replaced the filter/strainer and hose with a new set up I don't remember seeing anything like that. My tank doesn't vent and needs to be capped tight as the oil exits out do to the buildup in pressure that comes from the oil pump / crankcase setup. Thanks for your comments.
Rich

Back