Homelite Super EZ automatic question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I have a question for y'all. I just bought a Homelite Super EZ automatic saw from a co-worker for $40. I'd like to know what the gas/oil mix ratio is for these saws. Also, it has a manual oiler. How often should one push the manual oiler plunger while cutting? Thanks in advance!

Eric

Super EZ Automatic

The Super EZ Automatic has an automatic oiler. On mine, it doesn't seem to pump much oil on its own, but the chain seems to get enough lubrication without pressing the manual oiler plunger. Nevertheless, I usually give it a shot at the start of each cut. The ground rule is that you should use about one tank of bar oil per tank of gasoline/oil mix.

I don't remember what the recommended gas/oil mix is supposed to be, but conventional wisdom is that with the newer oils, you can go with what the oil is rated for, e.g., 50:1 for most of them. However, since I wear both suspenders and a belt, I go with 32:1 on all my older two-cycle stroke engines. They all seem to be holding up well. BTW, I got mine second hand also and it had one of those safety chains with the extra anti-kickback tabs between each pair of cutters. It was very slow cutting until I ground off all of those tabs, and now it acts like a real chain saw. Gene Gauss

Thanks! I just bought an owners manual on Ebay but I think I'll be using the saw before that gets here. Mine has an older chain on it so it doesnt have the anti-kickback teeth. I would have ground them down anyway if they were there. My father does that with his saws and it makes a world of difference.

Eric

I run 32:1 in all my old Homies and haven't had any problems (well, oil-related anyway). You could get by with leaner mixes, but oil isn't that expensive so why risk it??

As to oiling, it's a known problem that the automatic oilers on these saws aren't terribly reliable (do a search). As far as manual oiling, Dad always said to steadily oil as you're cutting. In other words, you should be slowly depressing the plunger as you're going along. I don't always stick to that, but I'm sure to give it a couple good pumps before I go into the cut and if I'm cutting bigger stuff, I pump it a time or two while I'm cutting. Like Gene said, you should be using close to a tank of bar oil per tank of gas. If you run out of gas and your oil tank is full, you're not oiling enough.

I run 32/1 in everything but everyone should be aware that the changes in recommended oil ratios are about the oils not so much the internals of the engines. If you ran 50/1 mix in your old saws oil related failure would still be unlikely.
I know this is a radical concept but have any of you safety link grinders ever considered simply buying pro chain?

Homelite Super EZ Automatic - Safety chain

I do buy pro chain when I replace a chain, but until the safety chain that came on the saw is worn out, I use it with the safety tabs ground off. It doesn't take too long on the bench with an angle grinder. Have to keep a light touch, however. Gene Gauss

... I know this is a radical concept but have any of you safety link grinders ever considered simply buying pro chain?

I got an amazing of a deal on several loops of safety chain, so for no more time than it takes to knock the tabs off, what the heck? I use a dremel and it takes maybe 10 minutes to do a 70 link chain.

Now for my 30 and 36" bars, I just bought regular chain rather than messing with grinding that many tabs off.

Latest posts

Back