Homelite super ez

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavis331

Wiggle wiggle wiggle
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am friends with an older gentleman who sometimes will pickup a chainsaw on an auction and then throw it my way. Today he came by with a really nice clean homelite super ez. It started a little hard but ran great after it started. What are the thoughts on these as a whole and what are they worth?

Never run one but like other Homies of that era a solidly built saw. Got a photo of it?

I am friends with an older gentleman who sometimes will pickup a chainsaw on an auction and then throw it my way. Today he came by with a really nice clean homelite super ez. It started a little hard but ran great after it started. What are the thoughts on these as a whole and what are they worth?
What color, blue or red?
They are great little saws, they have lots of guts for their size.

Solid saws and strong for their displacement. Reed valve and high compression.

Blue Prestolite ignition coils are the Achilles Heal. High failure rate. If it is an earlier points version, even better. Unfortunately, there are a lot of nice looking XL-1/super-ez/super-mini and the bigger xl-76/130's sitting around with dead coils. I have retrofitted some with alternate coils and re-timed them from scratch.

If you were looking for a nice first taste of Homelite, I highly recommend tracking down a 58cc xl-76/130. Very strong saws with great torque and good cutting speed.

Edit: Here is a link to the latest 130 I had apart. Husky retrofit coil and a 24" bar in frozen Douglas. I had an air leak in the video. Pulled the jug and resealed. Runs even stronger now.

Homelite Chainsaws

I read last night on another website that talks a lot about homelites. They discuss putting the blue wico/prestolite coils that have failed into a toaster oven for a few hours to kill the moisture in them. They work afterwards. Just sharing what I read. Haven't had to try it.
Solid saws and strong for their displacement. Reed valve and high compression.

Blue Prestolite ignition coils are the Achilles Heal. High failure rate. If it is an earlier points version, even better. Unfortunately, there are a lot of nice looking XL-1/super-ez/super-mini and the bigger xl-76/130's sitting around with dead coils. I have retrofitted some with alternate coils and re-timed them from scratch.

If you were looking for a nice first taste of Homelite, I highly recommend tracking down a 58cc xl-76/130. Very strong saws with great torque and good cutting speed.

Edit: Here is a link to the latest 130 I had apart. Husky retrofit coil and a 24" bar in frozen Douglas. I had an air leak in the video. Pulled the jug and resealed. Runs even stronger now.

Homelite Chainsaws

Baking the coils is hit and miss. I have had some that work for a couple of tanks of fuel, some that didn't and others that are still running after several tanks.

I have found baking them at moderate temps for a long time is preferable. 225 for a few hours.

Retrofitting a different coil and setting the timing to 30 degrees really wakes them up.

Latest posts

Back