Homelite Super XL Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Homelite had a big problem with modules, I've had several Super XLs and only had one module that had failed. The local small engine shop puts Super 2 modules in them, he says you have to grind the ends a bit to make them fit the flywheel. I'm not sure about this type of repair, I usually try to find the right module, not that hard to find.

thanks for the response. I searched ebay and chainsawr for the ignition module with no luck. I did see, however, that a member in the AS classified has alot of slx-type parts for sale. He/she says to 'PM me your e-mail'. Sorry for the silly question but what does that mean? Computers aren't my strong point......

thanks for the response. I searched ebay and chainsawr for the ignition module with no luck. I did see, however, that a member in the AS classified has alot of slx-type parts for sale. He/she says to 'PM me your e-mail'. Sorry for the silly question but what does that mean? Computers aren't my strong point......

Send him a Private Message with your email address. The blue solid state SXL coils are available new from the aftermarket (there are some on feebay and elsewhere). They go for around $60 though. Give BPlust a shout. I'll bet he can help you.

Coil Baking

I have a Super XL Automatic that I bought for twenty bucks because it had no spark. It has the blue coil. I wrapped the coil in aluminum foil, to keep the fumes down, set the oven at 300 degrees, and put the coil in the oven. When the oven had warmed to 300 degrees I baked it for ten additional minutes and then shut the oven off and let it cool down.

Reinstalled the coil and it had spark and has worked without a problem. I have cut 5 or 6 pick up loads of wood with it.

It is worth a shot and costs nothing to do.

Aparently at 300 degrees the varnish in the coil softens and somehow resets itself.

I have a Super XL Automatic that I bought for twenty bucks because it had no spark. It has the blue coil. I wrapped the coil in aluminum foil, to keep the fumes down, set the oven at 300 degrees, and put the coil in the oven. When the oven had warmed to 300 degrees I baked it for ten additional minutes and then shut the oven off and let it cool down.

Reinstalled the coil and it had spark and has worked without a problem. I have cut 5 or 6 pick up loads of wood with it.

Aparently at 300 degrees the varnish in the coil softens and somehow resets itself.

Interesting. I'll give it a shot. I have an old toaster oven that I use for non-food shop stuff like that.

That is one of the crazier things I've heard in awhile......but I like it! I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I love that saw series, but the blue prestolite coils are unfortunately a weak link. They seem to die without warning. Right now I have a S E-Z and an SXL-AO with dead blue coils. Sent a friend here one of my 'spare' blue coils from an SXL-AO a while ago. He put it in his Pioneer Farmsaw. He tells me that everything, including the laminations and the coil markings were identical. Works fine on his saw now.

I have a few old modules around and probably will be experimenting a little more with exchanging coils and laminations, I already know a few exchanges work but am just starting. No need to scrap a good saw because you can't find a module for it..

Baking a coil

I didnt think it would work either. I was online chasing down a new coil when I came across the idea to heat the coil up to repair it. I was surprised when I saw spark. Put the saw back togethor and now it is one of my favorite saws to cut with. Not sure how long it will last or if it can be done more then once. Try it and let us know how it worked.

I didnt think it would work either. I was online chasing down a new coil when I came across the idea to heat the coil up to repair it. I was surprised when I saw spark. Put the saw back togethor and now it is one of my favorite saws to cut with. Not sure how long it will last or if it can be done more then once. Try it and let us know how it worked.

On my coil, the spark plug wire is permanently attached. I'm concerned that the wire insulation might melt. Is this how yours was? I can wrap it in the tin foil with the coil and like you said its free so no big loss either way.

Are you talking about a coil or a module?

I wrapped it in tin foil and baked it in a toaster over for about 15 minutes then hooked it back up, pulled the cord and saw a fat blue spark! Great tip there Hick66

I'll have to look again, the last blue one I took out of a Homelite was a module. Maybe the points type coil is in blue also?

If a person didn't know part numbers it's hard to tell a coil from a module if you saw one at a flea market or something.

As far as the Super E-Z and XL-12/SXL-AO saws are concerned, the blue coils are all the Prestolites with the integral solid state ignition module. The points application coils are all black. Neither of these two saws ever had a multi piece electronic ignition system (sepperate coil and module). There were other Homelites with multi piece electronic ignition systems. I can't speak for them, as I haven't messed with their ignitions. The 750 on my bench has a multi piece system, but thankfully has a good strong spark.

I wrapped it in tin foil and baked it in a toaster over for about 15 minutes then hooked it back up, pulled the cord and saw a fat blue spark! Great tip there Hick66

Cool! I've got a couple to try.

Now this coil baking is very interesting. First I've heard of it.

Is it best to marinate the coil first?? Sorry, couldn't resist guys.

But seriously I'm going to try this with a Jonsered 49SP coil right now and see what happens. I'll report back later.

Latest posts

Back