Homelite Super XL Review!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my red SXL, it's a good running saw.

IMG_2091.jpg

Here are my 2 newer finds, the one on the left is in pretty good shape. The right SXL runs real good but it doesn't have a manual oiler, I don't know if some came this way or it was removed. They are pretty quiet compared to a Mac 10-10 but hopefully the stack exhaust will fix that.

IMG_2116.jpg

Here is my red SXL, it's a good running saw.

IMG_2091.jpg

Here are my 2 newer finds, the one on the left is in pretty good shape. The right SXL runs real good but it doesn't have a manual oiler, I don't know if some came this way or it was removed. They are pretty quiet compared to a Mac 10-10 but hopefully the stack exhaust will fix that.

IMG_2116.jpg

One of my SXLs had the man. oiler plugged as well...

The pics of those super xl's look a lot like the Pioneer Holiday that was given to me by sefh3. Are they the same saw?

Actually it is the other way around, most saws were copies of the Pioneer saws, fairly well known fact that Pioneer were ahead of their time in the R and D department. All of their new downsized horizontal cylinder saws were derived from the model 1110 that was on the drawing table as early as 1963.
Pioneerguy600

There is just something incredibly right with the XL12/Super XL saws. They aren't fast, but they just sound right and keep on pulling. I find them a joy to cut with, until I get bored and pull out the 066 and blast through what has to be done. Until then, it's like a ride in a classic car.

Actually it is the other way around, most saws were copies of the Pioneer saws, fairly well known fact that Pioneer were ahead of their time in the R and D department. All of their new downsized horizontal cylinder saws were derived from the model 1110 that was on the drawing table as early as 1963.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Pioneerguy. By any chance do you know where i can find a rim and drum set-up for a Pioneer Holiday? Oregon only lists one for a holiday 2, do they both use the same sprocket? The Holiday has model # 1100 on the recoil housing.

Last edited:
Thanks Pioneerguy. By any chance do you know where i can find a rim and drum set-up for a Pioneer Holiday? Oregon only lists one for a holiday 2, do they both use the same sprocket? The Holiday has model # 1100 on the recoil housing.

The Holiday II is quite different and takes a different size clutch drum. The original floating rim drum number from Pioneer for the 1100 is 471399 and the Oregon number Power Mate 68210.The spur drive was the most common for those saws but a few of the rim type show up occasionally. Best guess would be to hound all old repair shops and or dealers with eBay being one of the best sources for old vintage parts. If you post over on the Pioneer thread there is some fellows that have some NOS parts, you might get lucky.
Pioneerguy600

Hey just wondering how the progress of the saw is? I just picked up a XL and they sure do look the saw.

I used to have an old 410, and I want it back. Been looking for one for awhile.

You should have looked just a little harder! I had mentioned in the swap thread that I was having a fall Homelite liquidation. LOL

I finally listed it on ebay where it brought a whoppping :mad:$150 and it was a good one.

I would have rather seen it go to another member here that was looking for one.

Hey just wondering how the progress of the saw is? I just picked up a XL and they sure do look the saw.

Well i fixed the recoil, and the saw is almost apart. I just need to remove the clutch and flywheel and then new lines clean the carb and maybe repaint.

You should have looked just a little harder! I had mentioned in the swap thread that I was having a fall Homelite liquidation. LOL

I finally listed it on ebay where it brought a whoppping :mad:$150 and it was a good one.

I would have rather seen it go to another member here that was looking for one.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Someone stole that saw.

well hell, give you three guesses as to what followed me home today.

i knew i should have stayed home...only needs clutch cover.

yes i'm the newest sxl owner on my block. it's quite clean and appears to be mfg'd in april 78 (from cover). bar is in good shape and appears original.

will clean it up and put a lil gas in it tomorrow. yeah yeah, pics too.

What are they worth

I know, I know, shouldn't even ask,but I have to.What would you guy's pay for a blue and white XL 12 that was used a couple times has owners manual and original box that it came in.
Lawrence

Last edited:
Give me the info and I'll find out!

I just grabbed a SXL in red and an XL-12 in Carolina blue in pretty good shape for $20.00 each. NOT the condition your talking. There is a really good looking one on Seattle CL for $100. No manual or box it came in.

Latest posts

Back