Homelite super xl won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was running when you took it apart and now does not run when you put it back together, you obviously didnt put it back together right. Until you tell us how far you took the saw down, we can only "pot-shot" what may be wrong. You said it would not start or cough on starting fluid. That tells us no spark(coil wired wrong) or spark at the wrong time(sheared flywheel key). Until you start testing as was advised earlier, we can't be much help.
I can say that there is spark when I pull the plug out, connect spark plug wire and I can see it firing when I pull rope. I also used a spark plug tester that showed I was getting fire.
I will try the spark plug gap tomor or sat.

Hard to believe that saw has spark and won't fire on ether unless the flywheel key is sheared. Maybe it's badly flooded.

Flywheel key in place. Pulled flywheel off and verified. Plus, I don't have cover on and can see chair sprocket spinning.
Would the drive shaft turn if it was sheared?

The sprocket should turn freely if the saw is not running. By "drive shaft" I think you mean crankshaft. I believe this saw has a slot in the flywheel and in the crank shaft and the key is separate. The taper on the shaft is what locks the flywheel to the crank so if the flywheel is bolted on, the crank shaft should turn. The key is what locates the flywheel on the crankshaft for correct ignition timing. As already mentioned, check the gap between the coil and the flywheel by inserting a business card between the two and then tightening the coil mounting screws - should be a gap of about .010". Have you tried priming the carb with some mixed fuel? Is there fuel in the tank and is the fuel line/ filter submerged in the fuel? Is there any damage to the fuel line? Did you install a new gasket or use some sort of sealer? If sealer clogged the impulse passage the carb won't pump up any fuel from the tank.

As he said, the flywheel key just holds the flywheel in place while the nut is torqued down. If not torqued properly, the flywheel can shift and shear the key. It doesn't mean that the flywheel will spin freely, it will still be fairly tight, the shaft will still move with the flywheel, if electronic ignition, it will still spark, just at the wrong time.
To properly tighten the flywheel nut, the engine should be locked, or an impact wrench be used , to tighten the
nut sufficiently.

So you should remove the nut and visually inspect the key, and then tighten it correctly.

There will now be a long chitstorm over the impact wrench suggestion, because there will be tales of morons with no common sense that have torn up something with an impact wrench.
Actually I use my battery drill/driver, that has {impact-action}, It even is powerful enough to do most clutches.
If not, I'll fire up the air compressor.
driver 001.JPG

The sprocket should turn freely if the saw is not running. By "drive shaft" I think you mean crankshaft. I believe this saw has a slot in the flywheel and in the crank shaft and the key is separate. The taper on the shaft is what locks the flywheel to the crank so if the flywheel is bolted on, the crank shaft should turn. The key is what locates the flywheel on the crankshaft for correct ignition timing. As already mentioned, check the gap between the coil and the flywheel by inserting a business card between the two and then tightening the coil mounting screws - should be a gap of about .010". Have you tried priming the carb with some mixed fuel? Is there fuel in the tank and is the fuel line/ filter submerged in the fuel? Is there any damage to the fuel line? Did you install a new gasket or use some sort of sealer? If sealer clogged the impulse passage the carb won't pump up any fuel from the tank.
Yes. Crankshaft.
I checked gap in between flywheel and coil. This is where magnet on fly passes by, correct? If so, it's a bit tighter than a business card.
Fuel in tank, full. Line looks good.
Reused gasket in between carb and reed valve holder.

Take a test plug and open gap to about 1/4 inch, will it spark then? More compression requires more voltage. You could have had a weak ignition, and the extra compression sent it over the edge.
Opened plug to 1/4 inch, it's basically setting at a 45 degree angle. The spark jumps to the sides of the electrode instead of tip now. (Path of least resistance or just plain shortest distance). My wife said she thought a couple made it to tip.

Opened plug to 1/4 inch, it's basically setting at a 45 degree angle. The spark jumps to the sides of the electrode instead of tip now. (Path of least resistance or just plain shortest distance). My wife said she thought a couple made it to tip.
My wife says that to try to make me feel better....

In the spirit of trying to help you, can you take a quick pic of the saw?

If not, was there any electronic gizmos under the flywheel, or just the module beside it, that are in line with the rotating magnets?

You say that you replaced the "case", can you take a pic of the old one?

Replaced oil case housing due to broke handle bracket. Put back together and it will not start. It for sure feels to have more compression.
I have replaced spark plug and verified that it is sparking.
Will not fire even with starting fluid.
Don't know what else to try.
Sounds like it is the latter model, and the oil lines have put oil in the engine, or the carb is flooding.
After re-reading your first post.
Since your flywheel key is fine.....

Back