Homelite super xl won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opened plug to 1/4 inch, it's basically setting at a 45 degree angle. The spark jumps to the sides of the electrode instead of tip now. (Path of least resistance or just plain shortest distance). My wife said she thought a couple made it to tip.
Ok you gave us some info.......The test shows the ignition is good. Next, after trying to start, is the plug wet or dry? Sounds like you have a much older super xl (these could have no manual oiler). My thoughts, it may be possible that the reed block is installed backwards. I don't know if its possible on your saw, but I know its possible on a Echo ES2100 blower, because Im the dummy who did it. (took a while to figure that one out, and at that time there was no internet) This would also explain why your saw "feels" like it has more compression. You really shouldn't use starting fluid, but spray a small shot in the spark plug hole, then quickly put spark plug back in, it should at least fire then. Can you post pictures?

If you have what I think you have, it should have the pyramid reeds in a reed holder/block
Yes, it's the pyramid reed holder. It can only fit one way. I'll post pics in a bit. And check plug. I feel like it was wet but not certain at moment.

Ok you gave us some info.......The test shows the ignition is good. Next, after trying to start, is the plug wet or dry? Sounds like you have a much older super xl (these could have no manual oiler). My thoughts, it may be possible that the reed block is installed backwards. I don't know if its possible on your saw, but I know its possible on a Echo ES2100 blower, because Im the dummy who did it. (took a while to figure that one out, and at that time there was no internet) This would also explain why your saw "feels" like it has more compression. You really shouldn't use starting fluid, but spray a small shot in the spark plug hole, then quickly put spark plug back in, it should at least fire then. Can you post pictures?
Pics posted.
Pulled in it about a dozen times. Plug was dry. I do recall it being wet before.

certainly sounds like that saw is not getting spark at the right time. I would remove the flywheel and check again for a sheared key

Something else is going on here. If you have spark and key is not sheared is should at least fire with some mix in the hole UNLESS there is no compression. Regardless of how it feels pulling the rope, do a compression test.

Something else is going on here. If you have spark and key is not sheared is should at least fire with some mix in the hole UNLESS there is no compression. Regardless of how it feels pulling the rope, do a compression test.
I will check that this weekend. Is there something I could have done putting back together to make it lose compression?

I can only offer little at this point. Recheck everything. Be sure reeds are good and sealing (if bad it will blow charge right back out the carb). Be sure crankcase is sealed well, any leaks there, jug, crankseals ect, won't help the cause. After reassembling do a pressure and vacuum test before even trying to start it.

Latest posts

Back