Homelite super XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnboyy7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The motor is froze up. It was ran with regular gas(no oil mix). Is it repairable and what would it take?

New piston/rings and jug, new rings minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take muffler off check for gouges on piston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will probably need a piston too. You can clean the aluminum out of the cylinder with muriatic acid and fine sand paper, make sure the acid doesn't get in the transfers or intake and exhaust ports

You're going to have a good $100.00 in it if you have a shop do the work. You can usually find a running Homie XL on Craigslist for under $100.00, at least in my area. Good, dependable saw. If it's got sentimental value, fix it. If not, check around for another.

Let me offer an alternative. Check the ignition module for a missing screw at the rear of the bracket that it sits on. I've seen numerous saws like this that had the back screw come out and lodge against the flywheel making the engine appear to be frozen. Pry the screw out and replace it and you're in business. I've had at least 2 or 3 like that and I don't handle many Super XLs.

Let me offer an alternative. Check the ignition module for a missing screw at the rear of the bracket that it sits on. I've seen numerous saws like this that had the back screw come out and lodge against the flywheel making the engine appear to be frozen. Pry the screw out and replace it and you're in business. I've had at least 2 or 3 like that and I don't handle many Super XLs.
I once thought that a vintage McCulloch engine was frozen up. Flywheel would not budge. Turned out to be a machine screw lodged in the crankshaft had come loose from the oil pump. I removed the stray screw that was jamming the flywheel, replaced it with a new one, and the saw runs perfectly today.

I've cleaned many saw and motorcycle cylinders with emery cloth or sandpaper with a drill using a simple split mandrel wood or whatever to get the transfer Off acid took to long for me.

Back