Homelite Super XL12 Prestolite ignition trouble shooting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am working on this saw for a buddy and it has no spark. I took the kill switch out of the circuit and still no spark. Is there any other tests I can do with a volt/ohm meter to confirm the Prestolite module is bad? I was unaware that any of these had electronic ignition
Thanks for any help you can give me

Steve

I have been doing more research on this and at least two members have baked theirs in the oven at 300 degees for 10 minutes and got spark back. I think I will try this tomorrow moring, AFTER the wife goes to work:hmm3grin2orange:

Steve

It sure is, those blue coils dont last very long.

There on ebay sometimes but I think about $60 for them. I wouldnt pay that for one with there track record of failure.

Tell me about it. Bought one for my Pioneer Farmsaw, uses the same coil. Used it ONCE! One time, went to use at again and had no spark:angry2:

What's the alternative to the Prestolite? Put points,condenser and coil back in. I just picked up a 1980 Farmsaw and so far so good. I used it today as a matter of fact and really like it. I got mine off CL and it was in really good shape for its age. View attachment 255446

What's the alternative to the Prestolite? Put points,condenser and coil back in. I just picked up a 1980 Farmsaw and so far so good. I used it today as a matter of fact and really like it. I got mine off CL and it was in really good shape for its age. View attachment 255446

I don't think the electronic ignition XL-12s have a points cam on the crankshaft, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Update: I heated the Prestolite module/coil in the oven for 10 minutes at 300 degrees and it has good spark again. I took the saw out and cut wood with it this morning. Who would have thought to ever to this? Now, the million dollar question, how long will it stay working?????

Steve

I'd be tempted to give him the heat once more and after he cools give him a coat of this stuff:

attachment.php

Don't sniff it if you are pregnent. Makes your babies look funny.

Super XL Mystery

I have a Super XL12 with blue coil that has both me and a chainsaw repair man with 40 years experience stumped. Same no-spark problem as discussed above. We used both a blue coil and flywheel off a working Super XL12 (same model and year saw), disconnected the kill switch and still no spark. We put the borrowed parts back on the donor saw and it runs. Is it possible that there is a short in the grounding circuit and where would it be?

Your module grounds to the engine through the laminate frame, make sure the engine metal is clean where the laminate frames set on it, include the wire with the ring on it under the head of one of the retaining screws.

Back