Homelite SXL newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nglauer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I inherited my grandfathers red super xl. I believe it is a newer model and it is in really good shape. I doubt its even broken in yet. I was curious how good these saws are, if parts are hard to find, and if I can
change bars/size?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Classic workhorse that was started sometime early 60's and produced at least into the 80's, I believe. Early models started out blue/white and about 1970 changed to red. Dead reliable saw and good runners. Lots of parts still available. Enjoy it, but beware. It could be the start of a dangerous disease. CAD. And welcome to AS. Glad to have you.

Great old saw. Not a lot of monetary value. Commonly run 16-20" bar. With patience it'll pull a 24". Classic. Fun to run for a few cuts. Wouldn't want to heat the house with one.

Thank you for all of the quick replies. I used it to cut a few fallen tree's and to trim limbs off of one of my large pine tree's. The saw had been sitting, without being run for roughly... 15+ years... maybe longer. I was very shocked that it fired up so quickly. I just pulled the plug, sprayed a little oil in the cylinder.. let it sit for a few... then pulled it a few times. After that I installed the plug and put some gas in it (luckily it didn't have any signs of old gas being stored in it). She fired on the first pull and sounded great.

Here are some pictures, granted these are after I cut up a bunch of stuff. It needs cleaned up, but it's pretty scratch free. Just dusty with the bars paint knocked off.

20140804_211239.jpg

20140804_211243.jpg

20140804_211311.jpg

I will probably use it some tomorrow to cut up some fire wood for our fire ring.. then clean it up. Any suggestions on which oil to run in it? I have a little bit of homelite oil left... but not a bunch. I also get premium fuel out the road without the ethanol for all of my tools etc.

I also acquired an old/newer craftsman (it's plastic and looks similar in design to my old Stihl MS250... although it's obviously not the same saw). Any clue who would have made it? I don't have any pictures. I haven't tried running it, but suspect it doesn't work. I have no idea why grandpa had it... as I don't remember ever seeing him run it. Although, I don't remember the Homelite either.

Aside from Chainsaws... what other equipment/tools do you guys collect? I have a Garden Tractor addiction, mainly Bolens... but I do own a few Cubs and a IH Farmall.

Thanks again!
Nick

Just made this video to day lol!!!

Very nice!

Just curious... what mixture fuel do you guys run in your Homelites? I'll need to pick up some oil sometime soon, and will need to mix up a new batch. I currently have 32:1 mixed... but I wasn't sure if these saws run better at a different ratio.

Any clue what year mine might be? I think grandpa probably bought it in the 90's.... but i'm baffled by the craftsman that was in the garage.. as it's obviously a newer saw.

P.S. here are a few pictures of my other tools/toys I use around the property... Again.. I have some love for Bolens products. I own 3 tube frame tractors, and two large frame HT's. The one in the pictures was also my grandfathers. I have the 3pt plow, disk, cultivators, roto tiller, mower deck, hydraulic angle blade, and snow blower to go with it.. along with a few other neat little attachments. I'm currently restoring the HT23, and the tube frame tractors will be a father son project in the future. My family used to be in the Ford Tractor/Bolens business many years ago.. so keeping them, especially the HT20 is important to me.

Thanks again for the welcomes and advice! I can't wait to do some additional cutting this weekend.

Nick

WGI_0038.JPG

WGI_3130.JPG

WGI_2038.JPG

WGI_0565.JPG

20140507_201610.jpg

Bolens%2BHT23%2BShop%2BProject%2B3.jpg

Bolens%2BHT20%2Bwith%2BChicken%2BTractor%2B3.jpg

p.s. I let my game camera take all of my pictures lol...

I also forgot to ask... since the saw has been sitting so long, what kind of maintenance should I do? I haven't done anything except add gas, bar oil, and some sweat.... It does need a new spark plug boot, as this one is cracked, although it seems to run fine and hasn't effected it yet.

Thanks again!

Nick

With the xl at 32:1 you will be fine. I run everything at 40:1 myself. Those are some nice tractors to!!!

32:1 is factory ratio on it and is what I run on everything. Just make sure the fuel line is in good shape, not hard or stiff, and you're good to go.

Welp, i bought another chainsaw today... a stihl 029 for 50.00 dollars. Is in great shape and runs excellent. I haven't used the Homelite much since this post, but plan to polish it up and put it on the shelf since its in such nice shape.. and has sentimental value.

Excellent! Don't forget to dump that crappy gas we're forced to buy today out and run it dry before putting it up!

I'm very lucky, the station a few miles from me sells premium without ethanol :) but i still run them dry to be safe

Welp, i bought another chainsaw today... a stihl 029 for 50.00 dollars. Is in great shape and runs excellent. .
"Enjoy it, but beware. It could be the start of a dangerous disease. CAD. And welcome to AS. Glad to have you."
Yup it started!
I am the same way with all of my hobbies....... Old Wheelhorse tractors, Cigars,guns,baitcasting reels, etc.
Nice old Homelite!

Latest posts

Back