Homelite VI-123

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickCawks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning all!

I have been a long time small engine mechanic and tinkerer, but have been able to lurk the forums without a need to post until today.

Yesterday I purchased a Homelite VI-123 Automatic Oiler.

I have been looking everywhere for a manual for this saw and can not find a thing. I've completely exhausted my options with google and bing and got nothing. Not only am I having a hard time finding the manual I can barely find ANY information on the saw. The best I have come up with is a basic specs sheet for the saw which I have attached.

I have also attached a pic of the info placard and just one of the saw itself.

Now I have tried to search the "22090270" serial number as well as the smaller "69091" and just the model "VI-123" and any combination of those phrases that you can imagine with no luck.

I guess my question is fairly clear at this point but does anyone know where I can find a manual for this sucker? It's a very cool saw that's in excellent condition. I poured a bit of gas into the carb and it fired up on the first pull but died out because the carb isn't delivering fuel. I mostly just want to service the carb and cannot figure out how to remove the throttle linkage that is blocking one of the carb's screws.

Thanks in advance for any and all help! Glad to be a member of the forums!

Attachments

• IMG_28241_20200728_110349.jpg
    IMG_28241_20200728_110349.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200728_182610_HDR.jpg
    20200728_182610_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200729_093214.jpg
    20200729_093214.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22
  • VI-123.jpg
    VI-123.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 21
To remove the carb you just undo the bolts and it will wiggle out you have to turn it so it comes off the throttle linkage. The linkage is not easy to remove. You can take the mixture screws out to make it a bit Easier.

I was able to remove the linkage from the carb no problem. The issue is I can't find a tool that will fit in and around that linkage to let me get the second bolt loose. I guess I might have to go buy a really small spanner. not entirely sure what size the bolt head is though and I can't even get a socket in there to test the size.

Any guesses on what size that bolt is?

I've searched through Leon's pretty thoroughly and wasn't able to find a manual for this specific model. I will go back and triple check again though. I know it's out there somewhere. This is my first Homelite do they do a bunch of different models in the same manual?

I was able to remove the linkage from the carb no problem. The issue is I can't find a tool that will fit in and around that linkage to let me get the second bolt loose. I guess I might have to go buy a really small spanner. not entirely sure what size the bolt head is though and I can't even get a socket in there to test the size.

Any guesses on what size that bolt is?

I've searched through Leon's pretty thoroughly and wasn't able to find a manual for this specific model. I will go back and triple check again though. I know it's out there somewhere. This is my first Homelite do they do a bunch of different models in the same manual?
Check your inbox for an ipl and service manual.

Wow! had a busy day yesterday and didn't get a chance to look back on here. Thank you guys so much for all the help! I will report back how this thing runs soon!

Good morning all. Quick update and question on this saw.

I finally had a moment to put a little work into this thing. Got the carb off, wow what great condition it is in. with a little air pressure through the fuel feed barb, I could audibly hear the diaphragm pop open. With it being so clean I decided to set the carbs back to factory spec and just throw it back in.

However, within 3 seconds of getting the carb partially pulled out, I noticed what is clearly the issue. the fuel feed line is just entirely gone.

I have looked through the manual pretty thoroughly and can't find anything talking about the fuel tank or the fuel system layout. I was kind of hoping to find a diagram that would visually explain to me the routing this hose is supposed to take, but I'm coming up empty. The only piece of info I am able to find on the hose at all is on the carb diagram where it is labeled, but nothing more.

Not being able to find any info on this I went ahead and just ran a line in there until it stopped (pic attached). This netted me nothing the fuel hose is still dry and clearly not in the correct position to get to the fuel.

Couple Questions:
1: Does anyone know how the line is supposed to be routed / is there a diagram available that I am missing?
2: What is all this black gasket maker goop and is it needed to create a proper seal around the fuel hose where it runs through the grommet into the tank (also pictured)?

I want to thank you guys again for the previous help and any more help that you may provide. I am pretty excited to get this thing running, it starts on the second pull every time I dump a little bit of gas in the carb and it sounds great, but obviously I can only keep it running for a couple of seconds that way.

Attachments

• carb diagram.jpg
    carb diagram.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Homelite Carb.jpg
    Homelite Carb.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
When the fuel line exits the air box it goes straight forward to a special rubber fitting that seals it into the fuel tank. Of course the rubber fitting will be destroyed with age and and you have to be a little inventive to seal the fuel tube to the tank and that's what the black goop was trying to do I quess. A better solution is to epoxy a small round plate in the hole to the tank and it should have a hole in it that is a TIGHT fit on the fuel line to prevent leaks. All the other black goop is probably an attempt to seal the air box. The filter is on top of the air box, so you don't want any sawdust getting in under it.

Thanks for the reply! I will start looking into how I'm gonna get that thing sealed up.

do you think that is a reasonable cause as to why it's not delivering fuel?

Also, I'm assuming there is a fuel filter floating around in there I need to retrieve. I notice that the body of the saw is the gas tank. Is there any concern that I will need a new gasket(s) after disassembling?

What's left of the line and filter inside the tank could definitely be a problem. Not unusual to find the filter sitting on the bottom of the tank with the fuel line rotted right off. Not familiar enough with that saw to advise about tank gasket, have to take it apart to see what's there, but why take it apart? Normally fuel line issues can be fixed without any tear down.

I really don't want to take it apart. the thing is in such good shape and I'm scared the magic fairy dust is gonna come out if I crack it.

My concern is that I have already flipped the thing over and shook the heck out of it and heard nothing moving around in the tank. Also when I run the hose through the grommet into the tank it goes into some mysterious place that cannot be seen from the gas tank filler hole.

So ultimately I have no idea where the hose is so that I could even put my own fuel filter on the line.

In the attached picture I have put a penlight into the hole that the fuel line is supposed to go. as you'll notice in the picture there is not light seeping into the part of the tank I can see through the fuel filler hole. This leads me to believe there is a secondary chamber where the gas flows to and is picked up by the fuel hose. In this theoretical second chamber must be where the old fuel filter and the section of hose are hiding out and where I need to obtain access to put a new fuel filter on.

Attachments

• 20200818_073704.jpg
    20200818_073704.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I doubt there are 2 chambers to that tank, try poking around with a curved wire inserted through the grommet to see if you can figure out the tank inner shape. Filter is probably glued to the bottom with old fuel residue, might try adding some lacquer thinner to the tank and soak/shake to see if anything comes loose. Could you post a pic of the grommet?

heres the grommet.

The caliper got it at: 8.5mm OD x 6.00mm ID

I actually just got a new grommet that is: 7.94mm OD and 5.57mm ID and it fits like a glove. I thinks its gonna handle that side of the job.

Attachments

• 20200818_143818.jpg
    20200818_143818.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 3
lol, that was what I needed to hear the whole time. I actually had taken it off but didn't realize that the handle broke down into 2 pieces because of the vibration isolation. Once I got the second piece of the handle off it was all clear to me.

This also revealed to me the most likely answer as to what the black goop is. It IS the old fuel line. made quite a mess all over everything. My guess is stored it with ethanol in the lines.

I've got it all back together now and ready to go. Ran out of time before the wife got mad to try and start it tonight. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. I'm fairly confident its gonna start right up for me.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Attachments

• 20200818_154111_HDR.jpg
    20200818_154111_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200818_155749.jpg
    20200818_155749.jpg
  • 20200818_160135.jpg
    20200818_160135.jpg
Back