Homelite XL-102

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry2tmd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did a little home work on this Xl-102 from what I understand this thing displaces 57cc according to the Acres store it pretty much the same engine as the Super XL. So I bolted a 20 inch bar to it, and added a good sharp loop of Oregon 3/8x.050 and took it out to cut same aspen I needed to get delivered. I have only started this saw I have never ran it this was the first time, it looks like a tiny min, i and I just haven't had much interest in it but, a guy has to try everything once.
It started easily an after a few adjustments idled and revved well so I put it to work. I WAS IMPRESSED wanna talk about a overachiever! I cut about a chord with it, then disaster The tank split open and blew gas everywhere. I took it back home and tore it down, I had no clue that the gas tank and crank case were integral, until then and, add to that the gas tank seems to have been pinned and glued from the factory. This is the best Homelite engineers could do? No bolts, no studs, just pins and glue?!?
However the saw was so impressive I decided I am gonna glue it back together and try it again. So I ordered a new fuel line (replace it while the tank is open),and a ignition chip to replace the points, and a Oregon style clutch hub, I am not a fan of star drive clutch hubs. Even though I don't care for how Homelite put this saw together it is a great idea. I mean small, small package worth good midrange saw power. Exactly what I have been looking for, and want, too bad it is a 48 year old saw, but parts are available, and seem to be plentiful, so why not ?
A couple things I had considered putting .325 chain on it, but it pulled the 3/8x.050 and 20 inch bar well enough, I am thinking of trying a 24 inch bar just to help my back out while I am ground cutting. That's still a maybe at the moment, it's about getting it back together and running. So I would suggest if you find a XL-101, 102, or 103, sale your kids of you have too, but GRAB IT! Trust me you won't be sorry you did! I am still green to the Homelite world so any ideas or info on this little powerhouse would be appreciated.

The very early XL-101 types were glued. The all will eventually will leak the first time you pull on a pinch.

Later production has a screwed on cover.

Along with that they had a three screw 'magneto backplate'. They worked loose. It was changed to five screws and a drip of Locktite.

Buy a carcass with a screwed on cover and swap the guts over.

I'm not sure where to start. I agree on how impressive very old Homelites are for the displacement and how they pull 3/8. If you want to be amazed by another all metal lightweight old school saw try a super ez auto. I love running the xl12 and super xl, which seems very similar to your saw. I normally run 20" bars on mine and have played with 24". The 24" was a little slower in hardwood but not pine. Skip tooth chain might help on 24" but I wouldn't know, I just took a bar and chain off a bigger homelite just to play with. American made Homelites and Mccullochs deserve respect and rebuilding, not the scrap yard. Have fun with that saw

Honesty the only homelite I ever messed with was my Grandpa's Super Xl, it was one of the most dependable saws I ever knew growing up, that saw would fire up and run when nothing else would. This is the first homelite I have personally owned and I am kind of ashamed of how I treated it, I always try to give every saw a chance regardless of size, age, or brand, until I run them and give them a honest chance, and I didn't do that with this saw, and it almost proved to be my loss. Now there are certain brands I have had really bad lock with, mostly Mac's 610's, and I don't get alone, and I haven't had much better luck with this 10-10, but I am still trying to figure it out.
I kind of like the 20" inch bar and I have a few of them laying around I am planning on using this saw to get cedar posts with and honestly anything longer than a 20" inch bar gets clumsy while limbing so I think you are right and I'm gonna leave the 24"inch bar alone.
For now I am gonna glue the tank back together with (please forgive me ) JB Weld, and I will keep looking for the tank you mentioned. If I can't find that tank I thought about drilling this one out for a couple studs. So anyone with one of these tanks let me know, I can come up with cash, or I got a bunch of Mac 610 parts, and some husky 272, and of course I got a few husky 2100, stihl 028 and 032 parts for trade. One way or the other this saw will be brought back to life and get used, it was far too impressive to just let set in my shop.
Thanks for your input guys. I owe it to myself to check out more Homelite's the Super EZ, and XL-12 both interest me I plan on checking them out first chance I get.

Honesty the only homelite I ever messed with was my Grandpa's Super Xl, it was one of the most dependable saws I ever knew growing up, that saw would fire up and run when nothing else would. This is the first homelite I have personally owned and I am kind of ashamed of how I treated it, I always try to give every saw a chance regardless of size, age, or brand, until I run them and give them a honest chance, and I didn't do that with this saw, and it almost proved to be my loss. Now there are certain brands I have had really bad lock with, mostly Mac's 610's, and I don't get alone, and I haven't had much better luck with this 10-10, but I am still trying to figure it out.
I kind of like the 20" inch bar and I have a few of them laying around I am planning on using this saw to get cedar posts with and honestly anything longer than a 20" inch bar gets clumsy while limbing so I think you are right and I'm gonna leave the 24"inch bar alone.
For now I am gonna glue the tank back together with (please forgive me ) JB Weld, and I will keep looking for the tank you mentioned. If I can't find that tank I thought about drilling this one out for a couple studs. So anyone with one of these tanks let me know, I can come up with cash, or I got a bunch of Mac 610 parts, and some husky 272, and of course I got a few husky 2100, stihl 028 and 032 parts for trade. One way or the other this saw will be brought back to life and get used, it was far too impressive to just let set in my shop.
Thanks for your input guys. I owe it to myself to check out more Homelite's the Super EZ, and XL-12 both interest me I plan on checking them out first chance I get.
Have a scout around the junk sales & you will probably find a good EZ Auto or a Super Mini, Blow between 20/50$ of your hard earned cash, gut the muffler, possibly fit a carb kit, & run it like you stole it, at days end you will possibly be deaf (Muffler mod) & have the dreaded (white fingers, numb hands /no AV ) but you will still have a big smile on your face & a large pile of cut firewood

I got a super xl in that had never been used the guy said it was a display at his dads store he wanted to run it new line is all it needed. It was great to get to use a basically new homelite.

I have over 100 homelites and the super ez is my favorite saw that little saw rips
We need to hear from you more on this site. A thread about your collection with pictures would be great. Over 100 homelites is seriously awesome. Homelites are my favorite and the brand I focus most of my time,money and attention on while collecting. I think I have every super ez paint scheme and version except the last ones made with plastic parts. Still need that one.

I
We need to hear from you more on this site. A thread about your collection with pictures would be great. Over 100 homelites is seriously awesome. Homelites are my favorite and the brand I focus most of my time,money and attention on while collecting. I think I have every super ez paint scheme and version except the last ones made with plastic parts. Still need that one.
Have a bunch of those I really don't come on the site much alot of guys talk new saws I love my oldies

YES! I love a good Husky or Stihl, but there is something about these old saws. Most are just a motor and oiler with a bar bolted to them, no anti vibe at all, norhing special they just run, and usually run pretty well, so I know the numb hands and smile you are talking about and I love it! Well! I tried the JB weld on the tank, that lasted all of about the time it took to get it started. In a moment of what I would call insanity, I drilled the tank out and tapped in a couple 1/4-20 all thread studs in the front and drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 bolt in the rear lower part of the tank, not pretty, but it will woirk until I can locate another tank. Now the oil tank is coming apart, it is glued together to, and because of a oil tank cross port drilling and tapping that seems to be out of the question. I could use a super strong, oil resistant, flexable adhesive any suggestions? JB works for some things but it is brittle and the saws vibration destroys it. Any Ideas?

I basically put the 102 away for parts or whatever, can never tell I might run into a second gen some day and need the parts. I have been keepiong a eye out on the internet for something. I think that's why it caught my eye. I got a buddy who does metal salvage, he has had this old saw setting on some used oil drums for a year, no top cover, most of the paiont gone, and a 16 inch hardnosed bar that looks like it is 3 1/2 inches wide. I thought it was a old Remington, I restored one of those for a friend who loved it, I wasn't that impressed, but this time the sprocket cover shape made me take a close hard look, sure enough it was a Xl-12. He was over joyed when I asked him about it "Take it home. I've been trying to give that thing away for a year now, but I got a box of old saw parts you gotta take with it, wife wants the space.
Anyway after I got home I found that it would roll over, pulled the muffler cylinder didn't look too bad, so I dug the sparkplug out, and pulled it. I have never seen a plug that badly rusted, so I poured some 2 stroke oil in it and let her sit over night. The next day on a wim I grabbed a good plug, filled the tank, set the throttle and choke, and started cranking, after about the 8th pull it fired, I closed the choke and gave it another good pull and it took off! I couldn't believe it, this thing looks like the remains of road kill that nothing would eat, but it runs!?!? Says abunch about old homelites.
So I went to Acres, and got everything he had, and started reading what I could find about the xl 12 and the super xl 12 turns out that box of parts he made me take, had a super xl 12 cylinder and piston, with rings, along with the missing top cover and a decent air cleaner, so now, after a bunch of cleaning, a new fuel line, a points chip, and parts swapping, I am the happy owner of a Super XL 12, that is still impressing and amazing me. So the next question is, is Homelite Red a color you can buy, or do you just have mix it to match.

I basically put the 102 away for parts or whatever, can never tell I might run into a second gen some day and need the parts. I have been keepiong a eye out on the internet for something. I think that's why it caught my eye. I got a buddy who does metal salvage, he has had this old saw setting on some used oil drums for a year, no top cover, most of the paiont gone, and a 16 inch hardnosed bar that looks like it is 3 1/2 inches wide. I thought it was a old Remington, I restored one of those for a friend who loved it, I wasn't that impressed, but this time the sprocket cover shape made me take a close hard look, sure enough it was a Xl-12. He was over joyed when I asked him about it "Take it home. I've been trying to give that thing away for a year now, but I got a box of old saw parts you gotta take with it, wife wants the space.
Anyway after I got home I found that it would roll over, pulled the muffler cylinder didn't look too bad, so I dug the sparkplug out, and pulled it. I have never seen a plug that badly rusted, so I poured some 2 stroke oil in it and let her sit over night. The next day on a wim I grabbed a good plug, filled the tank, set the throttle and choke, and started cranking, after about the 8th pull it fired, I closed the choke and gave it another good pull and it took off! I couldn't believe it, this thing looks like the remains of road kill that nothing would eat, but it runs!?!? Says abunch about old homelites.
So I went to Acres, and got everything he had, and started reading what I could find about the xl 12 and the super xl 12 turns out that box of parts he made me take, had a super xl 12 cylinder and piston, with rings, along with the missing top cover and a decent air cleaner, so now, after a bunch of cleaning, a new fuel line, a points chip, and parts swapping, I am the happy owner of a Super XL 12, that is still impressing and amazing me. So the next question is, is Homelite Red a color you can buy, or do you just have mix it to match.
I think some one posted that Either IH or Case tractor red was pretty close If you are into "oldie's have a look at chainsaw collectors.se that site is a must for old saws

Back