Homelite XL 700 starter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slime

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Homelite XL 700 that I am trying to get the starter spring installed in. Any pointers on installing/winding spring would be appreciated. Also, the plastic starter shields are worn and torn. Any suggestions for obtaining replacements?

Thanks.

I have a Homelite XL 700 that I am trying to get the starter spring installed in. Any pointers on installing/winding spring would be appreciated. Also, the plastic starter shields are worn and torn. Any suggestions for obtaining replacements?

Thanks.

Get a scrap of 3/8" or 1/2" plywood abut 8" square or bigger. Draw a circle in the center of the plywood 1/8"-1/4" smaller than the recess that the spring fits in. Drive six 1" roofing nails equal spaced around the circle. Coil the spring inside the roofing nail 'fence'. When you got it all coiled in there, carefully clamp it with your smallest ViceGrip or a needle nose pliers. Remove three of the roofing nails and carefully set iit in place in the housing.

Make your spring shields out of coffee can plastic lids or large blister pack material. Watch your thickness.

Back