Homelite XL-800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK, all you Homelite smarties- Had an XL-800 follow me home last night, can't find any specs on it (displacement). Looks like the same housing as the XL-900 series, originally red, casting dates late 1966, doesn't show up in my big Homelite binder.

Hate it when that happens

My book says: 5.01 cubic inches (82 cc)

i just got a 700g geardrive, know anything about it?? (because I dont know much)

Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike- I think the Homelite book I have starts at 2100G and goes up from there. When the REAL Homelite guys read this they should be able to tell you everything you could ever want to know. All I do know about geardrives is it can be a nightmare trying to find a sprocket.

All i know is that mine fires up, And good lord does that thing have some compresion. It sounds like a beast. One of the bar stud inserts has stripped out & I am in the process of making a new (oversize thread) one. My sprocket is useable, but its seen better days. I have not cut with it yet, but cant wait.

What I really cant wait for, is to pull it out of the shed when my yuppie neighbors are out with thier 20" Home Depot poulans & Craftsmans (thinking that they have a top of the line, worlds most powerful saw) Geez, makes we wish I had a 088 Stihl or something.

I have heard that you cant stop these old geardrives. We shall see.

I'm not a "real" Homelite guy, but I'm a pretty good fake. :) It's 5.01 CID and was the first chainsaw of any kind with electronic ignition. I think it was an option, so yours might not have it. You can tell without pulling the flywheel if it says "Phelon" or "REPCO". Wico made the points system, R.E. Phelon Co. made the electronic system.

Great saw. Looks good, doesn't weigh too much, has loads of power from that hemi-head jug. Oh, check the cylinder nuts while you're in there. The old ones tended to loosen before they put locknuts on. I have the last of the line--a Super XL-925. Same basic saw, but with little improvments here and there that don't matter. Got mine for $10 at a yard sale in new condition. :D It sure is a beast for the size. A 24" bar with 3/8" FC seems to make it happiest. Don't know about the 800, but the 925's are selling in the $100-150 range last time I checked.

Mike, what happened with that stud? I thought all the 800/900 series has flathead bolts that were pressed in from the fuel tank side. No way to pull one without breaking the saw in half.

The 700G is the gear drive version of the 700D. Or vice versa. Made in 1960, 5.64 CID. Mike's page has more info:

http://www.acresinternet.com/sites/...6af40002b8f7/a742077f4914ae7188256b86001a8363

I know what you mean about neighbors. You should have seen the look on the face of mine (great guy, but buys from Sears like a good doobie) when I walked over to say hi carrying my 110cc Jonsereds 111S with a 24" bar!

John: The insert that threads into the gearcase is stripped (the female threads) The bar stud threads into the insert.

Insert is 5/8-18 thread & bar stud is 3/8-16 which threads into the insert. I am making a new insert about .030 oversize & am goin to try that. If it fails I am going to go to a 3/4-16 insert.

Thanks for the info

Mike

Latest posts

Back