Homelite XL-904

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottmtp

Reaction score
I recently aquired a Homelite XL-904 saw and need to find out what type of chain and/or bar that I can use as a replacement. The bar that's on it now measures 24". Does anyone know when the saw was manufactured and if it is reliable?? Thanks

Hi there, That saw is a nice model. I beleive it is 5.01 cubic inches. That's about 80cc's. I would run a bar between 16-32" on this saw and would use 3/8" chisel chain with a 7 tooth sprocket. The saw was manufactured in the late 60's to mid 70's, proved to be pretty relaible. Does the saw run? I will get you the particulars when I have time to look in my Homelite book. The saw is fairly large and probally won't see much use so make sure you tend to it's storage needs. Good Luck, Jonathan

Thanks for the information. The saw runs great. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet but I'm looking forward to eventually using it. Anything special I should do when I store the saw?

Thanks again

My saws never sat idle long enough to do this, but if I were going to store a saw I would run it dry of fuel, empty out most of the bar oil (so it won't leak), and give it a good cleaning. Sawdust trapped in crevices can be corrosive to the cast parts like the sprocket cover and recoil cover. Finally, wipe down the saw with an oily rag to protect against surface rust, especially the bar.

Back