Homelite XL Automatic Model 10532

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trooper1954

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have just been given this saw, and the gas has been sitting in the tank for some time....I've emptied it and lots of sludge came out. Can someone advise what I should use to clean out the tank of all that gunk? Also, it seems in good shape but I'll put a new plug in anyhow and see if it fires up once I clean the tank. Any other suggestions as to what I should repair /replace before I try and get her running?
Thanks for any help.

Start with mineral spirits and shake lots. Depending on results try straight gasoline or mix next. Final resort is lacquer thinner. The really nasty stuff sold for cleaning paint brushs.

Plan on replacing all the fuel lines, filter and rebuild the carb..

Sorry guys...just realized I copied down the UT number wrong....it should be UT50132 serial number T8100189...
Can someone tell me the year of this model?
Thanks for the help btw.

Okay....tank cleaned, new plug, fresh mix and chain oil...will not start. Fires and runs when some gas is put in the cylinder but not otherwise. After first attempt before I put gas in the cylinder it seemed like the new plug was bone dry, hence I'm assuming a fuel issue either with lines or in the carb. Anyone direct me to a play by play of taking this little carb apart?
Thanks.

Thanks...but on inspection there does not seem to be a filter attached to a tube in the fuel tank. Is it possible this model does not have an in-tank fuel filter, or perhaps it's missing and that's the problem?

Okay.....so how do I determine for sure if there's a fuel filter in the tank or not....I certainly cannot see, feel or hear anything rattling around. If it isn't there, how/where do I hook it up to assuming I can get a replacement, or are these filters fairly generic?

thanks driver....so first of all will I be able to find a replacement fuel filter for the tank....secondly, if the trash screen in the carb is plugged it means taking the carb apart...is there a play by play for this anywhere that you know of?
Thanks for your patience...

So you have the line out of the tank and no filter? It's possible the filter is stuck to the bottom of the tank. Sometimes the old saws will get a black goo inside the tank and things stick to it. You can probably take a wire and feel around in the tank and see if you find it. If not, it means the prior owner removed it. At the very least you'll need a new line and filter. You can look elsewhere on Arboristsite and see the procedure for a carb rebuild. The filter just slips onto the end of the fuel line and lays on the bottom of the tank.

You are correct:)...on further inspection of the black goo hat came out of the tank were the remains of the fuel filter, and the decomposing bits of fuel line! I have bought both the line and the filter, but am wondering if I should completely remove the tank to ensure there's no garbage left inside before I install them? Also, I think the trash screen in the carb will still need looking at??
Thanks

Definitely check the tiny screen.

Fortunatly, the pump side of the carb. is on top. Remove the four screws to get to it. Don't need to remove the whole carb..

You will need a sewing needle to pick the screen out of the hole it sits in. Clean it and push it back in with the shank end of a drill bit.

Thanks Driver, I'll get to it tomorrow and let you know what I find...and perhaps some pics. What are your thoughts on the need to remove the tank to make sure it's thoroughly clean?

When you do get it running, make it a habit to dump the fuel in a clean white plastic bucket. The vibrations will loosen up all kind of crap.
Let the junk settle out and put the clean part back in your mix jug or the old lady's ride.

Latest posts

Back