Homelite XL hard to start cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never ever drained any gas powered equipment when not in use. My nearly 20 year old Echo weedeater still to this day will start on the first pull. As for the oil, this Homelite didn't use to leak like this. Yes it drooled a little, but it's pouring out. I'm going to try cracking the cap to relieve pressure when I shut if off and see it helps.
Your weedeater probably doesn't have any oil and I wouldn't leave ethanol in any of my equipment for any length of time. Maybe you have a source of regular non ethanol gas?

I've tried stopping bar oiler leaks on several saws, homelites, Stihls, and others that bar was oiling ok when the saws is being used and I finally decided it's easier to just store the saw in a catch pan, diaper or a carrying case and let it drip.
I've changed oil pumps, installed kits, this and that and about time I thought I had it whipped and all ok next time I seen the saw there would be the oil mess.

Main thing is I always keep a heads up and make sure the bar/chain is being oiled properly when the saw is being used.

I wouldn't leave ethanol in any of my equipment for any length of time. Maybe you have a source of regular non ethanol gas?
Absolutely. I've rebuilt / cleaned numerous carburetors on small engines for neighbors and friends who use gas with ethanol. I run e-free in everything except for our daily driver vehicles. I'm lucky to have 3 stations that have e-free.

I only have one station near me and it's around 20 miles away but I'd rather drive over there than clean corrosion off the insides of carbs. I had a few EZ saws that I've cleaned up, two or three were unusable because of the fuzzy looking stuff inside, carb cleaner wouldn't take it off.

Back