Homelite XL sitting in a puddle of gas...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I went out to get all the saws prepared for Hurricane/Tropical Storm ERNESTO..Even though Im out of the cone of uncertainty, I still want to be ready.

Got the Timberbear cranked, filled with Bar oil, and Gas, Chain tensioned.
Same with the Wild Thing, Poulan 2300, MAC 4600, Tanaka, and The Wizard.

Picked up the XL, and it wouldnt start..checked the gas nd it was empty..which was odd, because I thought it was at least half full. Put gas in it, cranked right up..set it down, and noticed a puddle of gas...

Seems the repair I did on the gas tank finally let go. It split the whole length of the bottom, so I layered it with Epoxy and Cold weld. It held for a while, but now its done.

Anyone know where I can find a good replacement?

it is the early style, with the metal body, gas tank up front of the engine, under the carb.

Otherwise, all the saws cranked, and ran fine. Didnt try to run the Poulan XXV...The chain is GONE, looks like little stubs on the chain..:dizzy:

josgmctk said:
xl with metal body, is the tank plastic or metal?

Saw looks likr this:

Tank is plastic, shaped real weird. It hugs the Oil tank, which sits next to it.

Red cap is fuel, black cap is Oil.

have you heard of a plastic welder? they have had them in autobody shops to fix plastic inner fenders. shure is handy to repair things in this plastic world. chain saws, drills, impact wrenches and even auto radiators. you would be surprized what you can fix with an electric wood burning iron.

josgmctk said:
have you heard of a plastic welder? they have had them in autobody shops to fix plastic inner fenders. shure is handy to repair things in this plastic world. chain saws, drills, impact wrenches and even auto radiators. you would be surprized what you can fix with an electric wood burning iron.

Problem is the bottom of the tank is paper thin from vibrating on the case. It is so thin and brittle It would be like trying to mig weld a coke can.

I know there was one on Ebay a whiel back, but I dont see any now. Darn saw runs too good to let it retire.:rock:

I have about a dozen of those saws, will check for a good tank tomorow. probley find ones like you have.

I have a parts saw with a good tank, But PM scott first (Retoocs555)as hes a sponsor here. he might have one also.

*Edit* Josgmctk, Site sponsors are supposed to get first crack.

I have a million and one of those tanks.

Do you have male or female threads on the cap?

welding a coke can is fairly easy to anyone with any welding experience. Same thing with razor blades.

Anything can be fixed or repaired, just at what cost?

Well, the threads are inside the cap, so the cap would be Female Threads.

Hey scott, how much would a few good parts saws run me? tanks, carbs, muflers and such intact, no bars or any of that needed.

Id like to find the little metal peice that goes under the foam filter, and whatver is supposed to hold the filter on the carb, as well as the plastic carb cover.

I had all these peices..but they got misplaced when it sat in a box for a few years while I fixed the ignition problem.

It would be nice to have a few parts saws on the side..or some that can me made to work...

Id also like to find a nice all original mint one..

glad you posted this, kinda woke me up looked in the parts box about
a dozen saws and only 2 fuel tanks that are as bad as you described
I think that I better check out the ones that run to see how bad they are
before I have a leak and fire maybe add something to keep the tank from
rubbing on the case

josgmctk said:
glad you posted this, kinda woke me up looked in the parts box about
a dozen saws and only 2 fuel tanks that are as bad as you described
I think that I better check out the ones that run to see how bad they are
before I have a leak and fire maybe add something to keep the tank from
rubbing on the case

This saw probably has around 100 operating hours on it...its been through the devil, but it runs great.

I know when the gas leaks out, it runs to the back of the case around the muffler...pretty hot back there.:angry:

When I find a replacement, Im going to put some weather stripping on the front of the oil tank, and on the bottom of the gas tank, should buy me a few years.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back