Homelite XL400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcowboy1974

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Homelite Xl-400 chainsaw. Looked at piston after taking off muffler, real nice shape. Runs real good. Has the old type muffler that is real load. No baffle or spark arrester. So I think this may give it a little more power. Runs a 20" hard nose bar real well. But I like roller tips better, since they take less power to run in my opinion. My QUESTION is: Do you think I could get away with putting a 24" sprocket nose bar on this chainsaw. Will it have enough power to run it. I'm not a professional so I won't be using it that hard. Also this is not my primary saw. I also have a homelite 150ao, Homelite super XL ao, stihl 029, poulan pro 445 with 20" and 24" bars. Poulan pro 505 with 28" .404 with skip tooth. 505 isn't broke in yet, only about 2 tanks of gas through it. Lastly the beast is the stihl 066 with .404 chain and GB sprocket tip 25" bar. So the old homelites get used not nearly as much as the newer saws. But I used to have another old homelite Xl400. I bought it used with a 24" hardnose bar with 3/8 chain. I used it for about 4 or 5 year until it lost compression one day from piston scoring. Upon taking off muffler lots of carbon by the exhaust which caused all the scuffing . I mix the old homeys about 24:1. I used to mix 16;1 but figured that produced too much carbon. So let me know if an old XL-400 with a 24" bar 3/8 is a good idea. Can I get 3/8" skip for it? Thanks a lot!

The XL400 sold new with the choice of 16", 20", 24", OR 30" hard nose bar.
A 24" sprocket nose would be an excellent match... even more so with a skip tooth.

Back