HomeMade Alaska Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about slab thickness?

I used 1" square tubing, to build my mill. With 3/16" pads on the bar clamps, about the thinnest slab I can mill is 1-1/2".
I am thinking about adding shims(pads) to the base, to allow me to mill a thinner slab.

That would work. The one I built can mill down to 1/4" thick.

What about slab thickness?
I used 1" square tubing, to build my mill. With 3/16" pads on the bar clamps, about the thinnest slab I can mill is 1-1/2".
I am thinking about adding shims(pads) to the base, to allow me to mill a thinner slab.
If the mill frame cross members are attached above the mill frame rails, the bar clamps should be able to be retracted back past the mill frame rails so you can cut a zero thickness slab.
This is even easier if no bar clamps are used instead just bolt the bar to the mill frame upright.
This also makes it possible to remove the chain from the saw without removing the saw from the mill.

What sizes of square tubing did you use, and was there any trouble getting them to sleeve/telescope together?

What sizes of square tubing did you use, and was there any trouble getting them to sleeve/telescope together?
On one of my bigger mills I used round Al tubing - can't remember the sizes but there are so many sizes available finding telescoping tubing was easy. However, Al in contact with Al is not a good idea so I used a PVC sleeve in between which is oiled regularly and this has worked well. My other big mill uses Unistrut and no telescoping.
The first (small) mill I made uses telescoping tubing but I'm pretty sure it was metric size tubing so its not going to help you much.
The telescoping fit can be quite loose provided corner located locking bolts/nuts are used.
This forces the internal tube up against the opposite inside corner of the external tube.
This has the added advantage of not crushing the inner tube which happened on my small mill. I've made devices which use corner locking bolts and the work really well. There's less rattle and movement.
If you want to be extra safe use two bolts.

Back