Homemade winch video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks more dangerous than a buzz saw

For goodness sakes cut the wheel studs off the left side atleast. They snag your britches it would beat you to death before you could even say Oh shet.. Looks to me like it will work for a little while anyhow.. What gear ratio does the axle have? I would think a set of 588 gears would give you a little more grunt and slow the retrieve rate a bit..

For goodness sakes cut the wheel studs off the left side atleast. They snag your britches it would beat you to death before you could even say Oh shet.. Looks to me like it will work for a little while anyhow.. What gear ratio does the axle have? I would think a set of 588 gears would give you a little more grunt and slow the retrieve rate a bit..

It may not be the safest winch out there, but I have about 45$ in making it. I will make a shield too cover that hole side just didn't get to it. The ratio is 3:55, lower would make some difference, but the speed is controlled by how much I let the brake slip.

is it a brake or a clutch?

I could not tell from your video how you were engaging the pto.. If it is a clutch you will need it fully engaged to pull a large load. and you will have full fast speed log coming at you?

I could not tell from your video how you were engaging the pto.. If it is a clutch you will need it fully engaged to pull a large load. and you will have full fast speed log coming at you?

Eric, I turn the pto on from the ground I can reach the lever to fully engage it. The lever that i push applies brake pressure the lever pushes on a old brake master cylinder to make pressure and it brakes to wheel that i need to cover. When i brake that side the power is transferred to to winch side and if to log is coming to fast i just let the brake slip.

View attachment 64699

View attachment 64700

cool stuff. make sure you get us some video of pulling some bigger stuff. maybe get a sling and snatch block to take into the woods with you and you could set up a mini high line operation(low line? :) ) have fun with it.

Oh I see

Using a demo derby locker. Lots of guys would run two e-brake cables in case they got up on the barriers. Sounds like once you get the extra wheel hub guarded you are good to go then. good luck and be careful.

Great Video

Mike - Thanks for taking the time to record the video. As I was monitoring your other post I was not sure how it was going to work. Your videos explain it all. Once the cable is attached you can go after some large logs for sure.

I really like your wood box holding the saws, gas, oil, etc. Great job on that too !!!

Last edited:
Im glad to see some younger old fashend farmers are still out there, please clean that thing up for safety sheilds on both sides of the axles and pto, kill switch to the tractor ,this may save your life.

Homemade winch video-Great

:popcorn: czar800 Great video,I'm glade you got it working.I seen your post when you
started the project ,A little fine tuning ya may have somthing .Good Luck
hope to see more.

Well, I know one thing, you inspired me on that thing. One thing that I regret is often where i cut the hills are steep, and often really good wood goes unused cause I sure dont want to pack that wood all the way up the hill, and my winch will only extend 30 feet down the hill. I have tried before using extra cable, but it got to be more of a pain than it was worth, always having to unhook the several lengths of chain or cable as they came up the hill. Your rig looks like it would hold a good bit of cable length! Not to mention overheat any electric motors like I suffer with.
Good job! I like it!

Well, I know one thing, you inspired me on that thing. One thing that I regret is often where i cut the hills are steep, and often really good wood goes unused cause I sure dont want to pack that wood all the way up the hill, and my winch will only extend 30 feet down the hill. I have tried before using extra cable, but it got to be more of a pain than it was worth, always having to unhook the several lengths of chain or cable as they came up the hill. Your rig looks like it would hold a good bit of cable length! Not to mention overheat any electric motors like I suffer with.
Good job! I like it!

I got alot of steep places on our farm that has good wood also, that's why i made up the winch. What I am going to do is have two rims one with as much rope as it will hold and one with cable hopefully about 100-150'
I will post pictures or a video when i get in to some real wood.

nice idea and nice set up. it sure will save your back and legs.

but.....(always a "but")..isn't there a mechanical way to slow down and speed that up? maybe like a transmission?

nice idea and nice set up. it sure will save your back and legs.

but.....(always a "but")..isn't there a mechanical way to slow down and speed that up? maybe like a transmission?

Yes a transmission would slow it down. Several people have suggested doing a tranny and I may have too, going to give it a go like it is. ( I wish i wasn't going out of town this weekend or I'd know )

Yes a transmission would slow it down. Several people have suggested doing a tranny and I may have too, going to give it a go like it is. ( I wish i wasn't going out of town this weekend or I'd know )

lol...yea i know...it's nice playing with new toys you build, ain't it??

ahhhhh.....there's more out there like me!

Hey...build yourself an A-frame up over the winch drum....then connect a block with a swivel hook......now then...you can take the cable in any direction coming off the back and the block will still spool the cable straight onto the wheel...err...I mean...winch drum! Also, pulling logs up off the ground will keep them from digging in and also may help too keep the bark cleaner!

ahhhhh.....there's more out there like me!

Hey...build yourself an A-frame up over the winch drum....then connect a block with a swivel hook......now then...you can take the cable in any direction coming off the back and the block will still spool the cable straight onto the wheel...err...I mean...winch drum! Also, pulling logs up off the ground will keep them from digging in and also may help too keep the bark cleaner!

This is a good idea for safety as well, I don't know how many horse that tractor is, but I know a logging winch on an 80 hp that can stand up a sizable tree if the but were to dig in. Also remember to keep your choker as close to the end as possible, for the same reasons.

Other than that, I've been thinking about building one of these, now I just gotta do it, something similar anyway.

Back