Honda GCV160 log splitter idling way fast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homedad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have this MTD splitter that I purchased new in 2005 and has done everything I've asked of it. I replaced the carburetor last year after the original was gummed by my neglect. The new one worked but the idle was fast but not like it is now. Anyway during a tire change it tipped over and broke a hydro fitting which lead to unusual handling trying to bring it into my shop to repair. So now the minute I start it it wants to run full out unless I manually push the governor but the minute I let go it goes right back to wide open throttle. The brackets don't look bent. Could there be something wrong with the counterweights inside the engine that activate the governor?

I had to reset the gov on a motor once. Hold the shaft, loosen the lock nut, turn the shaft all the way to one direction, retighten the nut while holding the shaft.

I had to reset the gov on a motor once. Hold the shaft, loosen the lock nut, turn the shaft all the way to one direction, retighten the nut while holding the shaft.
this ^ and the flat that is machined onto the shaft is usually 90 deg to the arm
or else the governor rod is in the wrong hole ? (ask me how i know :) )

Back