Honda GCV160 log splitter idling way fast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
homedad

homedad

ArboristSite Lurker
I have this MTD splitter that I purchased new in 2005 and has done everything I've asked of it. I replaced the carburetor last year after the original was gummed by my neglect. The new one worked but the idle was fast but not like it is now. Anyway during a tire change it tipped over and broke a hydro fitting which lead to unusual handling trying to bring it into my shop to repair. So now the minute I start it it wants to run full out unless I manually push the governor but the minute I let go it goes right back to wide open throttle. The brackets don't look bent. Could there be something wrong with the counterweights inside the engine that activate the governor?

frank_

frank_

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I had to reset the gov on a motor once. Hold the shaft, loosen the lock nut, turn the shaft all the way to one direction, retighten the nut while holding the shaft.
this ^ and the flat that is machined onto the shaft is usually 90 deg to the arm
or else the governor rod is in the wrong hole ? (ask me how i know :) )

Latest posts