Honda GCV160 vs. B&S Quantum???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker-Talker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the market for a log splitter and narrowed it down to basically engine choice. I don't think either one is a commercial engine, but I am curious how the Honda GCV series compares to the Honda GX series? I have a few pieces of lawn care equippment that has the GX series egines an they, as most of you know, are great. On the log splitters, it's about a $200 upgrade to go from the B&S Quatum to the Honda GCV160.

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

save your money

Buy the Briggs. I do not think that any engine in these classes are worth a 200 dollar upgrade. My old splitter has the same engine for over 25 years now. Maintenance is the key.

I am leaning towards the Briggs engine. I will probably only run the splitter a few times a year and only totalling about 4 cords of wood per year.

Speeco?

I think the Speeco runs the GX series of motor. What splitter are you looking at that has the GCV160 motor on it? Is that a belt drive motor?

You must mean the "GX" series.

I just did some checking, the GCV engine is a mower type engine. The GX series is probably what you mean. Its a commerical type engine and have had no problems with mine on my Bear Cat chipper.

The GC series engine is on the MTD, the Troybilt and Huskee 27 ton splitter. The offer the Quantum engine on the same MTD 27 ton splitter and a 22 ton Huskee. The Speeco I looked at was 22 tons and offered a Briggs and looked to be like a cheaper engine than the Quantum, but that was just an observation. Honda uses that engine on mowers and well as some pressure washers.

Matt

Back