Honda GX620 Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46hemi

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Not sure what forum would have been most appropriate to post but I figured it could be moved if need be.

I purchased a used generator with a GX620 motor. After fixing some of the electronics it is producing juice again. Seems a rodent made its way into the control panel and did some damage (the ultimate rat zapper) . I cleaned it all out and replaced the capacitors and its working again.

The issue I am having is on occasion the motor will backfire. This model is meant to be run at full rev (no load detection). The motor starts fine (hot or cold) and seems to run perfect. Then, intermittently the motor will "sputter" then a loud backfire, then run fine again. The cycle continues.

I have not changed anything yet (plugs, gas etc). The hour meter reads 125 and the owner seemed credible that he maintained it regularly. He said he ran it monthly, fuel stabilizer etc. I tried to do some reading and I see a common fail point is the coil packs but not sure if that would fit this diagnosis. Would love to get anyone's input before I start a wild goose chase. I have no problem ripping the carburetor apart but if thats not the likely culprit I would rather not do it just for fun.

A few observations I note are:
1) The muffler is extremely rusted - I do not see any holes but I do not know if that would contribute in any way.
2) It seems the owner added an in line fuel filter - again not sure if that could cause a problem or not.

Thanks to all!

Latest posts

Back