Hone size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Silly question. What size hone would i need ( in inches. ) to use on a stihl 029 super cylinder??

Doc

You will need a ball hone hone (the cheap three leg "brake hone" type will catch in the open transfer ports).

http://www.brushresearch.com/Index.cfm/FuseAction/home.FlexHoneTools.htm

Choose one a few mm bigger than the bore size (do you have a 46 or 47mm bore?), and a medium grit. Probably a BC 1 7/8 size... or similar.

Be careful when new - these are very aggressive. I like them better when worn a little.

Is there a particular size as in the circumference? I see on scare-bay that there are some different diameters, will a 2-inch work on the 029 stihl?

Doc

Most of the tool trucks carry them, or can get them. (MAC, snap on, Matco, etc) They run about 30 bucks. They usually have the oddball sizes that are needed in the chainsaw world.

I have seen various sizes at differant mom and pop auto stores. I'm sure you could find them online too.

doc874 said:
Is there a particular size as in the circumference? I see on scare-bay that there are some different diameters, will a 2-inch work on the 029 stihl?

Doc

2 inch migh be a bit big (51mm) but you might be ablke to make it work. Might havge a bit too much side pressure. They are already oversized, so don't get too big. Make sure it's rotating before you push it into the cylinder. Use pleanty of lube, like paraffin or Wd40 or whatever..

Wear it down a little first by honing a 2 inch water pipe!

There are several knock-offs out there... no idea how well the cheap ball hones work. I've put dozen of cylinders though my hones and they are still in good shape

Latest posts

Back